How do I get Quicken to recognize a matching transaction?

Options
AAW
AAW Member

Hi-

I have a cash account that is set to automatically buy an index fund in my Vanguard brokerage account in the amount of $100 each month. Both accounts are set up in Quicken. When I go to categorize the transaction, in the brokerage account I mark it as a "payment/deposit" and under Description/Category, I mark it as a "transfer". However, I need to choose what Vanguard brokerage account that it is transferring to. Why doesn't Quicken recognize which account it is being transferred to? Quicken can (or should see) that the $100 is going from my cash account on day x and is being used to buy an investment also on day x.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You should be able to set up a scheduled transaction or QuickFill rule for a transaction transferring money from a cash account to a brokerage account. But you can't create scheduled transactions or QuickFill rules for investment transactions such as Buys.

Are you downloading transactions for either account or entering them manually? If you're downloading transactions in the brokerage account, the Buy transactions should be downloaded. Are they not? Please clarify how your transactions are being entered and what you are seeing.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • AAW
    AAW Member
    Options

Thank you for your response.

Yes, both the cash account and the brokerage account transactions are downloading automatically.

I am not looking to set up scheduled transactions. Rather, I am finding out how to make Quicken recognize that when one account is used for a buy (the cash account) and there's an out flow from that cash account, that Quicken can automatically recognize that that same amount was used to purchase an investment in the brokerage account.

This discussion has been closed.