Bill pay falling off the deep end

Options

Seems like every week a new bill pay customer falls off my list that I can pay through Quicken. It is slowly becoming a glorified check register. Since you've moved to this new bill pay system not too long ago it has been nothing but a hassle. I'm having to go to my billers website (at least one or two a month now) to pay my bill because Quicken throws up the old yellow triangle next to a biller and says NEEDS ATTENTION. I'm starting to wonder whether I just need to move over to my banks free bill pay service instead of continuing to pay for this Hodge-podge of a software system that it has become. I'm now unable to pay Dominion Energy, Freedom Mortgage, Virginia Natural Gas, and now Bank of America (soon anyway). I've totally lost Newport News Utilities and Hampton Roads Sanitation, which both them worked fine until recently. I now have to go back to Pay with Check Pay for those two utilities. I used to recommend Quicken to everyone, now, I won't recommend it all to anyone. You guys need to get the Bill Pay stuff fixed and working right, I pay for this service and for it not to work is unacceptable.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken Bill Manager was a good idea, while it lasted … and then the banks and billers started throwing monkey wrenches into the process, "for improved security", as they say.

IMHO, it would be best if you avoided fighting the Bill Manager windmill.
    To be able to make payments on time with a minimum of effort I recommend you logon directly to the biller's website and authorize them to direct debit (aka PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, etc.) the next and all future payments from your checking account or a credit card.
    The biller's computer system will do all the work for you to make electronic debits every month on the due date and you don't have to worry about being late.
    In Quicken unlink the bill. Record a scheduled reminder which does not execute as an online payment into your account register on or before the Due Date and before you download transactions from the bank or credit card containing the payment transactions. That will allow Quicken to match your register transaction to the downloaded data and not cause any further issues.

• rkellerjr
    rkellerjr Member ✭✭
    Options
    I understand all of the 2 factor authentication being introduced but, as a bill pay company they either need to get this stuff working with 2 factor authentication or go back to the Check pay system all together, or just become a glorified check register program and go out of business. Seems my bank doesn't have any issues paying these bills on my behalf.
  • smutschler
    smutschler Member ✭✭
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. Lost bill download (eBill) with Dominion Energy, Virginia Natural Gas, Hampton Roads Sanitation, and Verizon Fios. You'd think electronic bill exchange would have some amount of standardization in 2023 -- it was many decades ago that banks agreed on the SWIFT format for payment data. Quicken (and moreover, old owner Intuit and QuickBooks) certainly have enough industry clout to lead a standardization coalition, at least in the USA. It is astonishing that mere downloading of PDF bill, balance amount, and due date is broken with so many different suppliers.
This discussion has been closed.