Does anyone else have the Problem that I have with Fidelity Investments Not sending Cost Basis Data?

Options
Don_Acosta
Don_Acosta Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Does anyone else have the Problem that I have with Fidelity Investments Not sending over Cost Basis Data to Quicken, and if so what have you been able to do for Calculating your Gains/Losses in Quicken? Thanks, Don
Tagged:

Comments

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

can you be more specific?

when you purchase a security, THAT is the 'cost basis' information for a future sale. If you don't have the entire history of purchase transactions, then maintaining cost basis is problematic.

is this for a non-qual or IRA account? for IRA's, cost basis really doesn't mean anything.

• Don_Acosta
    Don_Acosta Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Yes, when I setup my Account in Quicken with Fidelity Investments they sent my all of my Security Positions along with the correct number of shares, but they did NOT send the Cost Basis Information. I called Fidelity Investments about this, and they did tell me that they do Not send over that Information which is a Bummer. Based on this, I cannot use the Gain/Loss Information in Quicken which I do want to use. I called Quicken to see if there is a way to "Manually Edit the Cost Basis Information, and they told me that there is No way to do it". That would be a Nice Feature if Quicken could Add that Feature in the near future. So basically my Gain/Loss Information all shows the same thing; it just shows the Same Amount as the Market Value of the Security for that Column which is useless. Thanks, Don
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

You can do it. But it's not exactly "editing".

There are 2 types of transactions which add shares into an investment account, and they both allow you to specify the cost basis. They are "Buy - Shares Bought" and "Add - Shares Added".

You must locate the transactions that added the shares to your account and input the cost. That will be your basis. You may need to refer to old Fidelity statements to get this information.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh, and if you have Placeholders in your account (which is likely if you are missing valid transactions), resolving those placeholders should help get your cost bases into Quicken.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Don_Acosta
    Don_Acosta Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the Help! I will give that a try. Thanks, Don
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.