Bank of America - Online Balance Includes Pending Transactions - Not Able to Reconcile!

I have been using Quicken since 1995 and it is so frustrating lately that I'm thinking of canceling my subscription and just using an Excel spreadsheet! I feel like a pay the money for the convenience of the program and the shortcuts it provides. Yet when I use hours trying to reconcile or download several different ways to figure out what the problem is with the program, I feel like I'm wasting not only my money but my time on top of it. I have read lots of requests for support to please fix this problem. I have updated the program. This has been going on for months. This seems to be bad business. I called support when I thought maybe this was something that I was doing wrong and was told that there was "nothing wrong". I felt like I was talking to a 12 year-old. I am beyond frustrated and would like to get an email explaining how this has been fixed. Thank you.

Answers

• Allan3336
    Allan3336 Member

Ditto from a user since 1996! This is ridiculous. And I cannot use one of the recommendations from Quicken Support to reconcile from a monthly statement instead, as I need to download frequently to enter and categorize my wife's numerous Venmo and Zelle deposits for her self-employed job.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

can you each be more specific on the pending transactions?

are they from Zelle / Venmo / Cash App transactions?

is there any commonality?

I am not aware that BofA downloads these 'soft post' transactions - my pending / soft post transactions do not download until they are 'hard posted'.

what version of Q are you using?

from your standpoint, how are you defining a 'pending' transactions.

are your checking accounts consumer accounts or business accounts? when you go online to the BofA website, are you using the Consumer "Online Banking" portal or the Commercial "Cashpro" portal?

The transactions downloaded should match the "online balance' posted at the bottom of the Quicken register. Also, the 'hard post' transactions are listed with a date on the BOA online portal. The pending transactions state 'pending' on the website.

just need a lot more detail - the 'whining' doesn't let the Community help.

• davidinangelfire
    davidinangelfire Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Downloading from my BofA Checking account appears to have stopped working in the last day or two. Specifically, I have 3/4 transactions which have cleared on the BofA site but have not downloaded to Quicken

Downloading from my credit card seems to be working.

--------------
    0619 MDT: It's working now. Kinda weird but whatever.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

@davidinangelfire - what time do you normally download transactions? I see you originally posted at 4.53 a.m. MDT and it is possible that the overnight processing had yet to complete. (i.e. the website updated, but the downstream updates to the Quicken server had yet to complete).

• kg7
    kg7 Member ✭✭
    Howdy. This fixed issue has returned as of today. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7930705/online-balance-is-including-pending-processing-transactions

From the original post: "My Quicken register is now displaying an online balance that includes pending/processing transactions, such that my online balance and ending balance no longer match each other."

I am specifically experiencing this issue with Bank of America personal checking.

I am running latest Quicken Starter Edition v. R49.29. Win 10.
  • Morpheus
    Morpheus Member ✭✭

Same here

• Morpheus
    Morpheus Member ✭✭

Same here. Cant reconcile. Quicken get your act together. I am about done with this application. I have been using it for decades and in the last year it has been the most frustrating software. Riddled with bugs and disappearing features!!!

• checkyourmirrors
    checkyourmirrors Member ✭✭
    Yup, my problem started just a few days ago and I think this was a previous problem
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @kg7 and @Morpheus,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community.

Due to the nature of this issue, we recommend reaching out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation if needed.

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that we could not be of more assistance.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Morpheus
    Morpheus Member ✭✭

I did they have no idea so now what? Refund?

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @Morpheus,

Thanks for responding.

When did you reach out to Quicken Support? Do you have the ticket number for the interaction? My internal systems are not showing a ticket regarding this specific issue or a support interaction that occurred in 2023.

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

has anyone called Support? this is a Community forum only.

I use BofA for both checking and credit cards and have no issues.

While I appreciate why you are throwing 'shade' at Quicken, they are at the mercy of their provider, Intuit, and BofA for the transactions. If BofA doesn't load the transactions on their secure server, or Intuit has transmission issues grabbing the transactions, then what we see in Quicken is not correct. THe reality is that Quicken doesn't have the leverage they had years ago to get this stuff corrected timely. It's a pain for sure.

• Quicken Jasmine
    edited May 2023

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The mystery is why some B of A customers are seeing pending transactions - or the reverse, total of pending transactions included in the online balance but not downloaded as transactions - and others are not. I personally am not.

Maybe it depends on which B of A FI you're using? I'm using "Bank of America-All Other States" but there is also "Bank of America - Quicken" and several more obscure ones. That might be an important piece of information to provide here when reporting such issues.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello All,

In order to assist further in the investigation, we require the answers to a few questions.

1. Account Type:
    2. Account Name:
    3. Actual Online Balance:
    4. Online Balance with Pending Transactions:

We look forward to your responses.

-Quicken Jasmine

• checkyourmirrors
    checkyourmirrors Member ✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel not sure if the connection type would matter and in my case I wasn’t getting a balance with pending transactions but now I am. Plus this occurred before so the issue isn’t net new.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rocket J Squirrel - the two references to BofA shouldn't matter - it did years ago when the internal systems at BofA were separate as a result of a variety of mergers; it is all one system these days.

I hope someone posts specific examples of 'pending' transactions. These are considered 'soft post' transactions internally at BofA and are very different that 'hard post' transactions that are reflected in the "online balance". I wonder if we are all using a different definition of what 'pending' means. For example, are these immediate credit transactions from systems such as PayPal, Visa Pay., CashApp, etc where a transaction is credited to the account immediately but the online balance doesn't change until overnight??????

• DouglasLWarren
    DouglasLWarren Member ✭✭
    I too am getting the pending transaction balance with my download. And as others have said, this has happened before about a year or so ago. This started back up a few days ago. I have a BOA checking account, 2 savings accounts and a credit card. All being tracked in Quicken and this is only happening in my checking account.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@DouglasLWarren - can you please be more specific on the 'pending transaction'.

is it a check that is clearing, a deposit, a transfer from another account, a Zelle/ Paypal/ CashApp debit or credit, etc? what I am trying to understand is if there is an common characteristic of these pending transactions. I download my BofA transactions daily, have pending transactions at the BofA website and these pending transactions do not download to quicken.

Also, a 'pending transaction' should state 'processing'' in lieu of a date in the transaction detail on the BofA website / online banking. If there is a date associated with the transaction, it is NOT a 'pending' transaction'. The online balance that appears in the bottom of the Quicken transaction screen should NOT include the 'processing' transactions from the BofA website..

Also, are you reviewing these online transactions in the consumer Online Banking portal and NOT the commercial Cashpro portal?

We all need to get to a common understanding and confirmation of what is a 'pending' transaction. I would encourage participants on this thread to get to this level of detail and explanation.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Well, today I am seeing the effect of pending transactions in my checking account. I have 2 payments I initiated earlier from the B of A site and which I gave a due date of today. B of A calls these "processing," not "pending." These are not "restaurants waiting for the tip to be added" or "gas stations waiting for me to finish pumping," but fully formed transactions I entered manually.

@Mark1104

The online balance that appears in the bottom of the Quicken transaction screen should NOT include the 'processing' transactions from the BofA website..

But it does. B of A's (and Quicken's) "online balance" agrees with Quicken's "current balance", as I believe it should. Current balance includes today's transactions, even the "processing" ones. But I cannot perform an online reconciliation without working around the 2 "processing" transactions.

I believe I understand what is happening and why. So I choose not to perform online reconciliations.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• kg7
    kg7 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Here is what I'm seeing. (See pic)
  • mark.granoff
    mark.granoff Member ✭✭✭
    I am seeing the same thing with my BoA accounts, for what it's worth. It's been going on for a week or so perhaps.

As others have described, if an account at BoA has any "processing" (aka pending) transactions, the ending balance being reported for the account includes those transactions, which is incorrect compared to what my Quicken local data reflects (since those pending transactions have not been downloaded yet.) So reconciliation cannot be finished. For BoA accounts with no pending transactions at the bank, I find they can be reconciled locally.

I suppose this could be either or both of an issue with the data coming out of BoA or how Quicken is processing that data before providing it to Quicken clients.

I note that Bill Sync with BoA also broke recently (and I am not sure if this transaction issue exactly coincided with the Bill Sync change). Quicken knew about the Bill Sync issue, warned users, and now it is upon us. I am hoping for a resolution to that soon as well. I do wonder if the two things are connected though.
  • davidinangelfire
    edited May 2023
    I am having problems again. But a few details:
    installed R49.33, which has a message in the release notes "Customers can choose between Direct Connect and EWC+ when both are available"
    neither my checking account nor credit card has updated since 5/22. I see non-pending transactions posted on 5/23-24 in both accounts which are not reflected
    if i go to my checking account, and click on 'update', it starts at 'waiting' and then goes away. It is NOT WORKING

i wonder if the current 'update' actually requires you to go back and re-select which update method to use, rather than maintaining the existing one.

i also needed to restore from a backup yesterday because a power outage happened right in the middle of an update. that doesn't feel related but full transparency
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

@davidinangelfire - try exited your ID and then re-logging in…

edit>preference>quicken ID>sign in as a different user

click "yes" to confirm signout

and then repeat instructions to sign back in as the SAME user

now run OSU. are all the transactions downloading?

• davidinangelfire
    @Mark1104 I don't use Quicken Cloud - at all. Does that change your solution?

I tried resetting a different account for a credit union which has a similar behavior and have had a bunch of problems.

I then went ahead and tried your suggestion. My BofA account then downloaded 550 mostly old transactions but almost all are marked as 'New' even though reconciled. Ditto 214 transactions for my CC account. I thought there was a change/request to deal with apparent discrepancies between New/Reconciled but that is not happening. And I am not really willing to sit around and delete 700+ 'New' transactions.

I have been using Quicken for about 25 years so the problems are not due to my inexperience.
  • davidinangelfire
    A 'Reset Account' via Tools -> Account List seemed to wake things up. Some expected new transactions showed up. I had a couple of transactions that were flagged as 'Matched' when I was trying Mark's suggestion that did not come back; I manually 'Cleared' them.
    I think things are back to normal.
  • mark.granoff
    mark.granoff Member ✭✭✭
    Resetting worked for me for 2 of 3 BoA Checking accounts I tried. The one for which resetting did not work is, of course, my primary account. That being said, I think in the two cases that worked, the opening balances were changed. In no cases were any missing or additional transactions downloaded. I am willing to "wait it out" a bit more as things are not too far off the rails yet, but this is certainly annoying to have to deal with repeatedly.
  • mark.granoff
    mark.granoff Member ✭✭✭
    Small correction. On the checking account that was /not/ fixed simply by resetting the account, it in fact has no pending transactions at the bank. The other two, which were fixed by resetting, do have pending transactions at the bank. I am tempted to just amend the opening balance in Quicken for the first account by the amount that reconciliation is off by. (The opening balance has already been updated once or twice in previous BoA reconciliation debacles, so why not?) It is disturbing, to say the least, that the data can be upended like this for no good reason, honestly.
  • Chris86
    Chris86 Member ✭✭
    Here is another thread and another user base having this problem as well:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7930717/quicken-generating-errors-when-reconciling-pending-transactions#latest

As well as one where Quicken Support chimes in and says they're looking at it:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7930705/online-balance-is-including-pending-processing-transactions

However, the "Community Alert" link gives a Permission Problem error, so I can't see what the status is. Maybe someone else can?

Anyway, add me to the list, but I use USAA. It seems to be Express Web Connect + related.
  • davidinangelfire
    edited May 2023
    In my earlier post, I said my problem occurred right after installing R49.33 and using EWC+. Dunno if this is a common data point or not.
This discussion has been closed.