Copying Transactions

Options
nhmartens
nhmartens Member ✭✭
This is really going to sound like a rookie question but it's driving me nuts. This is in the register, specifically my checking account. How do I copy a transaction (leaving the original alone) and allowing me to duplicate it and just change the date?

I right click in the date column of the transaction I want to copy. Select 'Copy Transaction'. Then I right click the date column of a transaction a couple of lines below and select 'Insert Transaction'. But, what happens is it replaces the highlighted transaction. What part of 'insert' am I not understanding?

If I right click the last row on the register (which is empty) the 'insert' option is grayed out.

Thanks.

Best Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Copy Transaction works with Paste Transaction. Paste must be done into a blank row. Have you tried Copy, Insert, then Paste?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Have you enabled the settings in Quicken which allow for memorization and quick retrieval of previously used transactions? See image below.

If you have, instead of trying to Copy and Paste please do this:

• make sure you have memorized the old transaction that you are trying to copy: select old transaction, press CTRL-M
    • Go to the register's new transaction line and start creating a new transaction: Put in the date. Tab to the Description Payee Name field and begin typing the first few letters of the Payee Name, e.g., "amaz". Locate the desired transaction in the popup list and mouse-click on it.
    • You now have a complete copy of the old transaction in the new transaction line.
    • Make changes as needed and save the new transaction.

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Copy Transaction works with Paste Transaction. Paste must be done into a blank row. Have you tried Copy, Insert, then Paste?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Have you enabled the settings in Quicken which allow for memorization and quick retrieval of previously used transactions? See image below.

If you have, instead of trying to Copy and Paste please do this:

• make sure you have memorized the old transaction that you are trying to copy: select old transaction, press CTRL-M
    • Go to the register's new transaction line and start creating a new transaction: Put in the date. Tab to the Description Payee Name field and begin typing the first few letters of the Payee Name, e.g., "amaz". Locate the desired transaction in the popup list and mouse-click on it.
    • You now have a complete copy of the old transaction in the new transaction line.
    • Make changes as needed and save the new transaction.

• nhmartens
    nhmartens Member ✭✭
    Options
    I figured out the second suggestion, typing the transaction into a blank line and letting it remember it.
This discussion has been closed.