Transfers do not always create a corresponding entry in the receiving account (Q Mac)

Options
BertL1
BertL1 Member

Running Quicken Deluxe 7.0.4 on macOS 13.4

I suspect this bug is related to transfers with category autofills during the update process, where a corresponding manual entry is not always being generated by Quicken. Scenario:

1. For this example, 2 accounts named "Checking" and "Credit Card"
  2. Run account update which finds a payment to the credit card in the checking account, that has not yet posted to the credit card account itself
  3. During update, Quicken correctly creates the register entry in "Checking" and uses autofill to specify a category of "Transfer:[Credit Card]" using past examples. As we'd expect, update does not download an entry to "Credit Card" at this time, since it's not yet posted in that account.
  4. Quicken does not however auto-generate a corresponding manual transfer entry in "Credit Card" with a category of "Transfer:[Checking]" to balance the payment it found in "Checking." The portfolio total is now wrong.
    1. NOTE: I consider this a bug and not a requirement, as the failure of Quicken to create a manual transfer entry causes the portfolio total to be wrong, and I believe other transfers initially created in Quicken begin with corresponding entries between two accounts. At least one other financial app I'm familiar with, Banktivity for Mac, handles this scenario properly, by auto-generating a manual entry in the corresponding account, which is then updated at a future point once the credit card posts and the entry is downloaded (when the entry no longer shows as manual.)
  5. MANUAL WORKAROUND
    1. Delete the category in the auto-filled "Checking" entry for the transfer so the register temporarily shows it not yet being categorized (or temporarily modify it to another category vs. where it really belongs.) You must temporarily change this so Quicken shows it in your register while not editing the field.
    2. Now, go back to the "Checking" entry and manually re-enter "Transfer:[Credit Card]" as the category, when Quicken will correctly create a corresponding manual entry in the "Credit Card" register as it otherwise does for new transfers. Once the credit card posts the payment, and you run Quicken update again, it will match.

This discussion has been closed.