Transferring shares

volvogirl
volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have Q2013. My husband passed away and I transferred his Vanguard IRA into my IRA using shares transferred between accounts. So far so good. But in the very beginning I had named the funds individually and separately like VG Total Stock Tom IRA and VG Total Stock Chris IRA. So now I have 2 Total Stock listed in my IRA. How do I change the name or transfer his shares into my shares to combine them?

Mutual fund conversion doesn't seem right. Should I do remove shares and add shares?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The shares transferred entered Add Shares in your account. You could edit each of those transactions to reflect “your” version of the security. While tat may seem like a daunting number of edits, it can go pretty quickly as a paste for each edit.
    2. You could have your security acquire his security. Corporate acquisition. That may get applied in all accounts so be cautious how you want it to go. Mutual fund conversion should also work as a tool. Now with that application in that account you would have

a) Add shares per lot of his shares.
    b) Remove shares once for all his shares.
    c) Add shares per lot in your security name.
    Presumably all those would be dated the same day. From there I would delete all the a) and b) transactions just to have a cleaner file.

Again, condolences and hope this helps.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't follow your a)-c). I think I'll try Corporate acquisition. Should work ok since I have named all my funds differently depending on the account they are in. Then when I get his Total Stock shares combined in my security I might do it again to rename my security to drop the ….Chris IRA at the end. Or can I just edit the name? Here's my IRA account.. I probably will rename all my funds to remove the ending.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

a-c. The Shares Added (a) into your account were created by the Shares Transferred function. The Corp Acq or MF Conversion would create the b and c portions. My point was that all you need in the end is the c portion — the Add Shares of each lot of the ‘your’ security and you can delete the transactions in your IRA that first Add ‘his’ shares and then Remove ‘his’ shares.

This discussion has been closed.