Unable to import a downloaded QFX file

Options
Steve McKeever
Steve McKeever Member ✭✭

I'm using Windows 11, Quicken version R49.33, Build 27.1.49.33. I've downloaded a web connect file (*.qfx) from Bank of America for a month of credit card transactions. But then I cannot successfully import the file. In Quicken I select "File Import>Web Connect (.QFX) File, then navigate to and select the downloaded file. Then my cursor blinks a time or two, and nothing else happens. I am not presented with a dialog box asking which account I'd like to import into or anything else. And not transactions have imported into any account. Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how I can fix this? (If I create a brand new Quicken file, with just one credit card account, I am able to import the QFX file into that file/account. In this case Quicken acts like it's supposed to: I am presented with a dialog box asking where to put the imported transactions from the QFX file)

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First, make a backup.

Is the account already setup for a download connection type in Quicken? Edit the account from the Account List (Tools menu) and select the Online Services tab. I'd make sure that it is not activated for anything and then try the import again.

BTW, you can double click on the .QFX file in Windows Explorer and Quicken should try to import it without going through the menu picks that you described (nothing wrong with them, it is just more clicks).

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris15
    Chris15 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Having similar problem using Windows 10, Quicken Deluxe R49.33. I used to be able to download transactions from Citibank VISA but for months now, the download does not work and is a known problem that never gets fixed. Instead, for the last several months, I have been able to download a qfx file from Citibank and import it into my Citibank register. However, that process is currently not working. I successfully download the qfx file, open the Citibank register, select File, File Import, Web Connect (QFX file), select the downloaded file and I receive a dialog box asking me to either activate one step update of don't activate. Since one step update does not work for Citibank, I select don't activate and then nothing happens. The transactions are not imported. I have tried the suggestions offered by splasher above and they make no difference. Don't know what to try next.
  • jtomalley
    jtomalley Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am having the same problems - Quicken Premiere R50.8. QFX files look like they're downloading and then nothing happens.
  • NHFisher
    NHFisher Member ✭✭
    Options

I have experienced the exact same issue as Mr McKeever except with Citibank. I am using WIndows 11 version 10.0.2261 It seems that importing QFX files stopped working for me sometime between early May and early June. I have had conversations with Quicken support about this and was told there was a known issue with quicken data files being corrupted. I had tried the Validate and Repair function and that did not solve the issue. I was kind of sent down a rabbit hole of creating archive file and making copies with reduced transactions but nothing worked. I did create a test file with only the Citibank account. I started importing QFX files month by month starting with March statment. That worked for March, April, and May but failed for June. I then went back and deleted all the transactions and tried to repeat the test. Now nothing worked. Frankly, I am not sure if this is a Citibank issue, a Quicken issue, or some combination.

I have other financial institutions that only give me excell downloads. At this point I decided to try and use a program that I have used for many years that converts and excel file to a QIF file. You have to format the Excell file to have specific header names etc but I have macros to do that. Using this program I am able to successfully import my data.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NHFisher I suggest you look into ImportQIF by QuicknPerlWiz, it is free and after initial setup of mapping the columns of information, takes a .CSV file and creates a .QIF file for import into Quicken.

I routinely use it and it works great.

• NHFisher
    NHFisher Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same problem with my Citibank Mastercard. I have been downloading and importing QFX files for years. When I tried to do this for my last statement -early May to early June. I could have just copied S. Mckeever's post and posted it. However, I have also experienced the same problem with a Elan Services visa card. I have talked to Quicken support about the issue and they implied there was a known issue with something like this. They had me create a copy of my file to cut down of the size of my data base. Separate of the fact that it is really is not straight forward on how to actually do that. When I was able to finally create a smaller file the problem persisted. Today I decided to back up and carefully do some testing.

I created a temporary Quicken File and added the account from Citibank

I downloaded my March statement using qfx - worked

I downloaded my April statement using qfx - worked

I downloaded my May statement using QFX - worked

I downloaded my June statement using QFX - did not work Quicken appeared to recognize the file but no transactions were imported.

At this point I honestly don't know if it is a Citibank issue or a Quicken issue.

I have other financial accounts that do not create QFX files but does create and download Excell file. I have program that converts Excell files to QIF files. You have to modify that Excell files to a have specific headers and format but I have done macros for that. I can then convert the excell file to a QIF file. I did this for my Citi Mastercard data and have no issues importing the transactions

• NHFisher
    NHFisher Member ✭✭
    Options

Splasher - thank you - I ran across a reference to ImportQIF and was thinking about trying it. Nice to know that someone is using it. I have not had trouble importing QIFs and intend to stay away from the QFXs!

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only downside to importing QIF files into subscription Quicken (2018+) is that they are automatically entered into the register (no chance of review by you) and the balance in the Account Bar is not updated until something like doing a backup causes it. Other things will trigger the Account Bar update, I just know that a backup will do it.

ImportQIF does filtering for unique transactions (user preference) so that dups are avoided. QPW has done a great job with the program to get it to work around Quicken's quirky practices. He is also good with support.

This discussion has been closed.