Duplicate Transfers Caused by Transfer Reminders

Options
Lemo_TX
Lemo_TX Member ✭✭

I have transfer reminders set up for bi-weekly transfers that occur between my checking and savings accounts. I have automatic transfer detection turned on to identify matching transfers. When I download new activity, the transfers are automatically matching as they should but the transfer reminders are creating duplicate transfers for the same transactions. In the optional settings for each transfer reminder, there is an option to "Automatically enter the transaction in the register" and I DO NOT, have that option selected as I don't want the reminder to enter the transaction. I appears the reminder is manually entering a transfer anyway.

Comments

• Lemo_TX
    Lemo_TX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Lemo_TX,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue start? I can see the duplicates are all manual transactions, as though the reminders are being entered into the register. What is your normal process for the reminders? Are you selecting Enter, Edit, or Skip? Are these transactions being entered into the register after the transfers have already downloaded from your financial institution? Does Quicken give you the option to match them to the correct downloaded transaction?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

IMHO, for best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.
    Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should be able to just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

It might be best to at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it.

• Lemo_TX
    Lemo_TX Member ✭✭
    Options
    @UKR thanks for the guidance. I may give this a try and see how it works. I try not to enter manual transactions, as I'd like Quicken to do the work for me, but I probably need to try different things to figure out the best process. It's not hard for me to delete the duplicates, but I just don't understand why the reminder are creating manual transfers in the first place, ESPECIALLY since I have it set NOT to automatically enter them in the register. It seems like a bug that Quicken needs to fix.
  • Lemo_TX
    Lemo_TX Member ✭✭
    Options
    @quicken kristina this issue has existed for as long as I've been using the bill pay and transfer reminder features....probably close to a year now. I only use the bill pay and transfer reminders as a means to see the projected balances. I don't initiate any bill payments or transfers from Quicken, as I have them all set up to process automatically through my bank. So I generally just skip the the reminders. The reminders are supposed to match to a transaction automatically anyway.
  • wawilso1
    wawilso1 Member
    Options

I have the same issue, I have auto entry for payment reminders set at 90 days and many of them get duplicated. There is no pattern but some are duplicated or even triplicated and certain transactions are duplicated more often then others.

Has been happening for about a year for me also.

This discussion has been closed.