Can I change a subcategory of one parent category to another parent? (Q Mac)

Options
MyQuser4321
MyQuser4321 Member ✭✭

I created a new subcategory in a new parent. Now I want to transfer the expenses in the old subcategory to the new one.

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@MyQuser4321 : If you have already used both the sub:beer under Foods and the sub:beer under Drinks in various transactions, then what you want to do is merge the two subs under the main category Drinks. @J_Mike's answer is right on. You want to drag the sub beer from under Food and drop it on top of the main category Drinks. Since they are named the same (capitalization doesn't matter), Quicken will offer to merge them.

Now, why you can't drag in the Categories window, that's a mystery. The standard drag (click and hold down mouse then slide) should work. Are you using the current subscription version (7.1.0) of Quicken for Mac? If not, what version are you using? Have you tried restarting the computer? Can you drag things in other apps (eg. a text editor)?

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • MyQuser4321
    MyQuser4321 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Why I could not drag in the Categories window is still a mystery, because today I can! This changes everything! You have helped to lift off a great burden. You helped me out of a box I created for myself. Thank you very much!

Answers

• RickO
    Options

Just so I'm clear, your category setup now includes:

Parent
    Old-Sub
    New-Sub

And you have some transactions that are categorized as Parent:Old-Sup that you want to change to Parent:New-Sub.

If that's the case, one way to do this is to select the transactions in their register (or in a group register), then menu File > Get Info. The only catch is that this will not affect any categorization on split lines of a transaction.

If you, however, want to replace ALL instances of Old-Sub with New-Sub throughout your database, then you can do that by selecting both of them in the Categories window (using command-click), then merge them using the Merge button at the bottom of the window.

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Open the Category List (Windows > Categories).

Seelect the old subcategory and drag it to the new parent.

If the old and new subcategories have the exact same name, you will be given the option to Merge the two (lower left of dialog).

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• MyQuser4321
    MyQuser4321 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Rick: Your answer was excellent. But my challenge seems to be more complicated.
    A silly example might help.
    Category: Foods
    sub: Beef
    sub: beer
    sub: fish
    New category. Drinks
    new sub: beer
    I'm trying to move beer from Foods to sub under drinks.
    I have merged categories, but not subs. Maybe that's a Windows vs. Apple thing.
  • MyQuser4321
    MyQuser4321 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Mike: I can't drag in the Categories list. Is there a special way? Like shift-drag or command-drag?
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

@MyQuser4321 : If you have already used both the sub:beer under Foods and the sub:beer under Drinks in various transactions, then what you want to do is merge the two subs under the main category Drinks. @J_Mike's answer is right on. You want to drag the sub beer from under Food and drop it on top of the main category Drinks. Since they are named the same (capitalization doesn't matter), Quicken will offer to merge them.

Now, why you can't drag in the Categories window, that's a mystery. The standard drag (click and hold down mouse then slide) should work. Are you using the current subscription version (7.1.0) of Quicken for Mac? If not, what version are you using? Have you tried restarting the computer? Can you drag things in other apps (eg. a text editor)?

• MyQuser4321
    MyQuser4321 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Why I could not drag in the Categories window is still a mystery, because today I can! This changes everything! You have helped to lift off a great burden. You helped me out of a box I created for myself. Thank you very much!
This discussion has been closed.