Average spending per month per category for a custom date range.

Options
D Morley
D Morley Member ✭✭
I am trying to create a report that shows my average spending per category for a custom date range. Does anyone know how to do this?

I can find the comparison report: current spending vs average spending by category but it wont let me create a custom date range.

My fallback is to export a spending report to excel and then divide the category totals by the number of months in my range, but I am surprised this reporting option doesn't seem to exist in Quicken.

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The bottom option in the date range pick box is "custom date range". I pick that and it accepts a custom date range. Is that what you are seeking? Or are you looking for the custom date range for the average spend data? In that case you can only pick from the finite set of range options. And, If that is what you are seeking then you'll need to do the manual workaround. However, doesn't choosing a custom set of dates to create the average essentially defeat the concept of average?

Have you considered creating a budget instead of comparing against averages. The comparison to averages becomes a moving target unless you reference a fixed time period in the past, in which case creating a budget and comparing to budget might be easier and more useful, especially since the budgeting features are relatively well built out.

This discussion has been closed.