Why does unpaid invoice remain after pmt applied and matched to bank deposit?

Options
Om_Audio
Om_Audio Member ✭✭
I have 3 invoices for a client. They paid w 1 check and is a single deposit into checking acct. I accept payment in each invoice on same date as deposit, then I match deposit manually and check all 3 invoices. The problem is the invoices are still in the unpaid invoice list. What could the problem be? Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Om_Audio
    Om_Audio Member ✭✭
    Options
    Can anyone please comment? This is certainly an issue that others may be familiar with. Thx.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The best process for recording invoice payments, no matter if for one or for many invoices, is by recording a single New Customer Payment transaction in your Customer Invoice account. This process will allow you to select which invoices have been paid and to correctly mark them as such.
    When done you will find a deposit transaction in your checking account in the amount of the check. Now you can go to the bank and deposit the check.

If payment were to arrive in the form of an electronic deposit in your checking account, you need to record the New Customer Payment transaction BEFORE downloading from the bank or BEFORE accepting downloaded bank transactions into your checking account register. This way Quicken can match the downloaded transaction to the already existing register transaction.

If you have (somehow incorrectly) received payment for the customer and invoices remained as unpaid, you can correct that problem. Record a $0.00 New Customer Payment transaction in the Customer Invoices account, click to put a checkmark into the "Apply existing credits" box and mark all unpaid invoices as paid. Save the transaction.
    You will not find a $0.00 payment transaction in the register, but all marked invoices for this customer will now show "c"(cleared) in the Clr column and should be taken off the unpaid invoices list.

• Om_Audio
    Om_Audio Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Hardly anyone uses checks in my work anymore and those that do I deposit using a mobile app. I make the invoice and of course common sense is to process the invoice payment once payment is received! I am baffled at this suggested work flow you describe. In the past Quicken seemed able to match deposits to invoices no problem and still does. The main issue is one deposit for multiple invoices and the other issue where even a single deposit/invoice has issues and invoice remains in unpaid list. I really am not sure why this is not working right and I certainly cannot operate the way you suggest trying to hold back downloading transactions.
This discussion has been closed.