Sudden Large Negative Securities Balance?

Options
ballu86
ballu86 Member ✭✭

I have a few Morgan Stanley investment accounts. One of them suddenly went from a positive balance to a $8.4 MILLION negative balance.

I tried resetting the account. No joy. I tried restoring to the backup right before this happened but on the next "one step update" I was back to negative $8.4M.

I also tried removing just the one account in question, but on the next update Quicken did not add it back.

Anyone ever run into something like this?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Check which of the securities is showing a negative balance. Now check this security's Price History and look for a bad price quote. Delete or correct the quote.
    Also check if there are any Placeholder transactions in the account. These placeholders need to be resolved.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Check which of the securities is showing a negative balance. Now check this security's Price History and look for a bad price quote. Delete or correct the quote.
    Also check if there are any Placeholder transactions in the account. These placeholders need to be resolved.

• ballu86
    ballu86 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. Your advice led me to an "unidentified security" which had a volume of 100 that should have been 1. I also had a placeholder transaction that needed to be deleted.

Thanks you!

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the response. It's always good to hear that you were able to identify and resolve the problem.

This discussion has been closed.