File NOT Backed Up Error

Options
evillama
evillama Member ✭✭
Been working flawlessly for years, now continually getting error message since June 2, 2023. Already tried Validating file (zero errors) and changing backup folder location. Still getting error "File NOT Backed Up".

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • evillama
    evillama Member ✭✭
    Options

I've tried multiple locations from the local OneDrive folder which syncs up (and has worked successfully for years) to the very simple C:\Users\[username]\Desktop - and I get the same "File NOT backed up" error.

Shocked this message has zero context, detail, or logs??

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The recommended (and default) place for Quicken data files is in
    C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken.

The files in is folder should NOT be accessed by MS OneDrive or any other backup software while Quicken is running.

The "File not backed up error" has been discussed many times here in the Community, with solutions posted.
    It indicates data corruption within the active, current Quicken data file (the one you're trying to back up).
    To resolve this problem perform a Validate and a Supervalidate process on your current data file.

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• evillama
    evillama Member ✭✭
    Options

Hadn't found the Super Validate function until now. I ran it and the only issue in the error log was:

QDF:
    Incorrect file size.

And it said it was fixed.

Unfortunately, when running the backup again (pointing now to the default folder) it still gave me the "File NOT backed up" error.

Any other advice?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please do this:
    - Make a copy of your data file:
    In Quicken US before release R 34.xx: Click File / File Operations / Copy.
    In Quicken US at or after release R 34.xx: Click File / Copy or Backup File. Select Create a Copy or Template. Click Next.
    Do not change any Copy Option settings.
    Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.
    (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019+ repeat the Copy process, but this time press and hold SHIFT and CTRL while you click File / Copy ...
    When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes". (On some systems, if SHIFT+CTRL doesn't get you the prompt, try just pressing and holding SHIFT) Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken and see if you can now create a backup file.

The Copy process force-disconnects all online accounts. You will have to reactivate all your online accounts to resume transaction downloading.

• evillama
    evillama Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks I'll try…not looking forward to reactivating 14 online accounts though. I use Quicken for many banks, cards, and investments.

This discussion has been closed.