account was transferred from one office and team to another office and team

Options
System
System Member admin
edited July 2023 in Investing (Windows)
This discussion was created from comments split from: Merging Investment Accounts ?.

Comments

• Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm facing a similar situation with ML. In this case my account was transferred from one office and team to another office and team, which for some reason also generated a new account number. For the old account, all holdings were 'removed' with comments about being 'transferred out.'

I see the options in this thread re creating a new/separate account in Quicken, or linking the new ML account number to the old/existing account in Quicken. I wonder if there's any more thoughts or guidance as to which is the best way to go, pros/cons, etc.

Thank you,

Brian

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks mshiggins. After reading carefully, and giving it some thought, I decided that the 'link' option would be best for me.

However…after I deactivated/reactivated online services, It showed me both the old and the new ML accounts numbers, but when I went to link the new number to my existing ML in Quicken, it didn't show ML as a possible option for linking it to. The results were the same when I just tried adding a new ML account.

Curiously, I could link the old ML account number to my ML in Quicken.

So, any idea why Quicken isn't showing ML as an option for linking with my new ML account number?

Thanks,

Brian

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My understanding is the link selection screen is confusing. The account nickname field appears to be grayed out and uneditable, but it is editable. Try stepping through the process once again to see if you can select the new account.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Brian183
    Brian183 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, but I think I found the solution. I cleared the 'old' ML account number from General tab of the Quicken account properties. I had somewhat assumed that this field was just for user reference, and not really used by Quicken. Apparently I was wrong. I just deleted the content of that field, went through the process, and then had the Quicken ML account available as an option in the link-to choices.

Appreciate all the help.

This discussion has been closed.