Adding subcategories

Options
rocbones
rocbones Member ✭✭

I can only add 1 subcategory. When I try to add a second an error message says that the category already exists. Using a Widows subscription.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

whew! Ok make sure to change your interest category to be interest not "income". See, description says optional. You don't need a description. Thought I was going to have to make you some screen shots.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

More info please. What are the names of the top level category or categories and the names of the subcategories? Are you trying to add the 2nd subcat to a cat that already has a subcat or to a different top level cat?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rocbones
    rocbones Member ✭✭
    Options

I’m building my own set of categories. The category I’m referencing is Income. I have successfully added interest as a subcat and I’m now trying to add Social Security as another subcat under the Income cat. When I try this I get the errror message that the category Income already exists. There is only 1 income category in my chart of accounts (category list).

Thanks for your attention!

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please show a screen snapshot of the New Category dialog as well as an excerpt of the Category List beginning with your Income parent category.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

By the way, QWin classifies all top-level categories as either Income or Expense, so having Income as a category is unnecessary.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rocbones
    rocbones Member ✭✭
    Options

Actually, the software asks for that to be filled in before proceeding.

• rocbones
    rocbones Member ✭✭
    Options

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks mucho!

• volvogirl
    Options

You need to enter Social Security up in the Category Name box. It's a new category. You already made the Income category.

• volvogirl
    Options

and Interest should be a category name too, not just a description. Don't know how it let you make an Income subcategory under the bold INCOME.

• rocbones
    rocbones Member ✭✭
    Options

The reason there is the possibility for 16 subs is that they relate to the main cat. I don’t want SS and Interest to be cat.s, they are subcats.

• volvogirl
    Options

also you don't need a credit card category. Credit Card should be be an Account. Here's credit card info.

To enter credit card....

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. The transactions need to be entered with the date you charged it, not the date you pay the credit card bill.

Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.  Then your credit card account should match what you actually owe at any time.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

• rocbones
    rocbones Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the info., but we don’t code cc charges until the end of year, I just want to show cc expense in report.

I still don’t have an answer to my subcat prob.

Thanks

• volvogirl
    Options

They are sub categories. But they are still a new category when you enter them. It even has a box to say what category it goes under like you show. You picked income. They are all called Categories, even the sub categories. You have to give a new category or sub category a new name. You can't use the same name Income for different things. Income is the parent category.

• volvogirl
    Options

You did your expenses right. You have Dental and Doctor etc. listed as subcategories under health. Income works the same way. You should have Interest and Social Security listed under Income (not just as the Description).

• rocbones
    rocbones Member ✭✭
    Options

Tried your suggestion and it worked fine. I see the logic now! Thanks so much for your help VG.

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options

whew! Ok make sure to change your interest category to be interest not "income". See, description says optional. You don't need a description. Thought I was going to have to make you some screen shots.

• rocbones
    rocbones Member ✭✭
    Options

All good! I can be dense but not impenetrable. :-} )

This discussion has been closed.