File Operations: Copy does not copy the Password Vault

Options
Robert Chiarulli
Robert Chiarulli Member ✭✭✭

When following the: FAQ: Troubleshooting 101 - Installation and Data FileProblems (Quicken for Windows), one of the steps is to copy your data file. When I copied my data file, the Password Vault was empty, in other words all my accounts with the passwords were not there.

Is this by design or a flaw in the copy process?

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When doing a copy using File→Copy or Backup:

When doing the above, Quicken de-activates all of the established online services for that account, therefore, the Password Vault is eliminated since there are no download connections established and no passwords to remember.

This is by design and NOT a flaw.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When doing a copy using File→Copy or Backup:

When doing the above, Quicken de-activates all of the established online services for that account, therefore, the Password Vault is eliminated since there are no download connections established and no passwords to remember.

This is by design and NOT a flaw.

• Robert Chiarulli
    Robert Chiarulli Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for enlightening me.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The part of the reason for the copy to do it like that is because of the internal file id which ties it to a specific Quicken Cloud Account. The copy gets a different internal file id and truly makes it a "new" file.

As an example, lets say that you had your children's information in your Quicken file and decided to split it off. Using a Quicken Backup or Windows copy would keep the file id the same and if you activated QMobile/Web for either file, changes made in QMobile "could" affect either file and really mess up things. To prevent those sort of issues, the copy is a plain vanilla copy with everything associated with online features turned off and a new file id.

Probably more than you really wanted to know, but I thought I'd pass along some of the background behind the decisions.

This discussion has been closed.