How to install Quicken 2013 (edit)

markmisky
markmisky Quicken Windows 2016 Member ✭✭

Hi,

I'm new here and just installed Quicken 2013 from a CD. I have been using MS Money and imported all my data fine. I am using Windows 10.

The problem I am having is I can't seem to register Quicken. When I go to register I get the attached error message in a pop up window. The instructions are out of date.

When I get this, there is NO WAY to click it closed. You can see the X in the upper right is greyed out. I can not close Quicken using the Close Window command on the task bar.

The ONLY way out of this is to do Ctrl Alt Del,then use Close Task in task manager.

I wondering if I even need to register too? Thanks for any comments

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Did you go to that first link on converting from an earlier version? The download is under the step for Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. It's in step 3, click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• volvogirl

Start over and download 2013 Deluxe for free. It has all the updates. You don't need to register it. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.  2013 is the last good version before they started requiring an ID.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Oh you got it installed and it works? You don't need to register it. But you probably need to update it. One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

• markmisky

Thanks but when I search this forum for Converting from Quicken 2002-2009, I get 119 hits and most of then are this same comment from you. I see no way or link to where you can Download the Quicken Program itself. The patch link only seems to have patches not the entire program. What am I missing?

Thanks

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓

Did you go to that first link on converting from an earlier version? The download is under the step for Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. It's in step 3, click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

@markmisky - of course you realize that with the unsupported Q2013 everything will work EXCEPT no online downloading of transactions- all input is totally manual….

• markmisky

Thank you. Thats what I thought. Why register since it does me no good with this version.

• markmisky

Is there any way to download a QIF or QFX file from my credit card company and import it to Q2013?

I've been trying to import a QIF from Chase. When it asks me what account to import too, my Chase Visa does not show just 3 cash accounts. When I go too set up the Chase account for online access, all I get is an error below.

If I try it as a QDF it says its "Import Failed"

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Using Q 2013, you cannot download or import any type of QFX-formatted transactions. Other than trying to use files converted to QIF format, manual data entry is the only alternative for your old, unsupported Quicken version.

If you ever get the Registration prompt again for your installed-from-CD version of Q 2013 …

Bypass registration (Quicken for Windows 2014 and older)

If you get stuck on a Registration window, you can try the following to bypass registration:

• Start or restart Quicken.
    • Do not start a One Step Update or any other download activity.
    • US version: Press and hold and keep holding both the left CTRL and Shift keys while you click Tools and then One Step Update.
    • Canadian version: Press and hold and keep holding both the left CTRL and Shift keys while you click Online and then One Step Update.
    • When the message “You will no longer be prompted for registration” appears, click OK.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

to clarify. - when Quicken expires, or is no longer supported - the doors are shut for any downloading… or any online access of any kind for any functionality

This discussion has been closed.