Is there any way to change the symbol of a CD in Quicken after the security has been created??

Options
mpemale
mpemale Member
edited July 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I entered a CD as a security and inadvertently entered CUSPID # instead of the symbol. I can't find a way to change it other than deleting it and making a new entry. Seems silly that the program won't let you change the symbol once it is entered.

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

probably, you need to change the security type to something else (stock), change the ticker (I’d accept the copy prices and also choose to delete the old prices), then change the security type back to CD or however you had it.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

probably, you need to change the security type to something else (stock), change the ticker (I’d accept the copy prices and also choose to delete the old prices), then change the security type back to CD or however you had it.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

All that said, why do you think you need to change the ticker? You should not be trying to download quotes for that security and the ticker has little other importance.

• mpemale
    mpemale Member
    Options

Thanks, probably just as easy to delete the incorrect CD and re-enter. I imagine Quicken wants to track the lots, whether a Stock or CD to maintain the integrity of the system.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, the program does track lots, but that task is unrelated to the ticker symbol. Again, what problem do you think exists with having the CUSIP (or any other text) in that field?

• mpemale
    mpemale Member
    Options

The problem is simply one of convenience. I have my investments organized by “symbols” in my portfolio, so my CD’s, stocks and options are segregated. Makes it much easier to view and manage.

I appreciate your responsiveness! I couldn’t find any documentation in Quicken help, so thank you!

This discussion has been closed.