Need improved accessibility

Options
Jon8
Jon8 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI

I'm a senior user with many decades of Quicken usage. I have poor eyesight, and because of my eyesight, I use "Large Fonts". Quicken is very inconsistent in providing me with subwindows that I can read and/or use. Some error messages are displayed with text that is too tiny to read. Some windows are truncated, so that the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons at the bottom of the window are off the bottom of the window, and I can't resize or scroll or move the window to expose the buttons. Get some alpha or beta testers with poor eyesight to give you feedback. There is a lot that needs to be done.

4 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a workaround, have you tried reverting back to "View / Use large fonts" turned off and then used the Windows Magnifier?
    Press the Windows logo key and the = key to open Magnifier.
    Customize Magnifier to increment Zoom in 25% intervals.

• Jon8
    Jon8 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Turning off "Use Large Fonts" kinda defeats the purpose. I do use the Windows Magnifier a lot, but many of the Quicken windows are too wide, and I have to wiggle the Magnifier cursor back & forth. It is inefficient and frustrating. I have a graduate degree in Computer Science with an emphasis in user interfaces, and I'd rate Quicken's UI a "C-" because of issues like this "Use Large Fonts" issue. Why offer "Use Large Fonts" if much of Quicken's functionality can't be used with it. It is especially frustrating because I believe that resizing the pop-up windows isn't a difficult task.

I believe that there are many user interface problems with Quicken. For example:

1. "Printer Setup for Printing Checks" — we should be able to add this to a customized toolbar.
    2. Why can't I rename a scheduled transaction group?
    3. Why must if use a list of all memorized transactions when editing a transaction group? Why can't I just go to the account in question & select transactions from the account?
    4. I would love a much more robust "Import Data" function. I have a small number of rentals, and I get PDF reports every months for all the transactions performed by my property manager, and I have to reenter all those transactions by hand.

Admittedly, some of these would be a challenge to implement, but most should be easy.

Bottom line: Quicken desperately needs improvements to its user interface.