What is the process to reset a password for Quicken 99 running on Windows 10?

Options

It has been a long time since I had to log in to Q-99, and I cannot remember the password. Is ther a way to reset it?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe you're out of luck if you can't remember the password. There is no password recovery service for Quicken 99.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you sure that the Quicken data file which you're trying to work with was last processed by Q 99? Or could it have been a more modern version that you upgraded to in more recent years?
    Q 99 can't read a data file from a newer version and may give an erroneous password error.

Tell us a little more about what you're trying to do and if Q 99 really is what you've been using ever since.

• farmenure
    farmenure Member
    Options

Thank you Greg_the_Greek for your response.

I explored the Quicken site more after I asked the question and saw that Q-99 is not supported for a password reset. I am now exploring if I can import the Q-99 file to GnuCash to be able to have continuity for years of basically a check book register.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you can get your data file info, You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. Then it should be more stable and run on newer computer systems.

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009. Click on the blue words Quicken 2013 for Windows in step 3. But you will have to go though a couple other versions first. Check out this whole article.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• farmenure
    farmenure Member
    Options

Thank you Volvogirl for responding with the information on Quicken 2013 deluxe.

I will check that out later. I have some business to take care of this evening.

I noticed that you knew my Q-99 machine does not go online, but that information was in my reply to UKR, which I am not able to see, though I can see my reply to Greg_the_Greek, which came after the reply to UKR. I presume that you are/were able to see that post, even though I can't. Shades of "Outer Limits", which may be a reference not in your timeline.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No older Quicken versions can go online. Only the current supported versions. Which is only the last 3 years or so.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• farmenure
    farmenure Member
    Options

UKR,

Thanks so much for your response !!

I have been using Q-99 since late 2016. I had Q-96 on an XP machine which died, and the replacement computer came installed with Windows 7 which didn't support Q-96 (if my memory is correct). I may have the various OS's incorrect, but the sequence was Q-96 for many years, and then I bought a Q-99 CD online after Intuit no longer supported Q-99.

Q-99 is now installed on a used refurbished desktop that came with Windows 10. Some folks told me that Q-99 wouldn't run on Window 10, but it has been for the past three years. Q-99 is the only software I have had on that machine, until I installed GnuCash, yesterday.

The Q-99 password that I cannot remember is a file password (phrase). I am not using transaction passwords at all, and the Q-99 computer never goes online. My laptop that is connected to the internet is via an Ethernet-10 cable direct to modem. No wi-fi allowed.

I back up to a thumb drive after every Q-99 D/E session, so I have the most current data file (albeit, with a bunch of receipts that need to be D/E).

When I first installed Q-99 on this Windows 10 machine, Q-99 prompted me to register with Intuit, but that was not possible even over the phone, as Intuit no longer supported Q-99--in fact sold it. Since only so many boot-ups were allowed if Q-99 was not registered, I left the software open, and allowed the computer to sleep until the next time I needed to do a D/E session. IWO, I let the password on Windows 10 be my only security.

It seems to me that a reboot happened in the past few years and somehow I managed to get back into Q-99 without using the Q-99 data file password, but perhaps my memory is incorrect.

Last night I reinstalled Q-99, then opened a new data file, set-up with a file passphrase, that I secured with a written hint. Then I changed the most recent back-up data file name to the new data file name and ran the back-up from inside the newly installed Q-99. It appears that old data file password is embedded in the file itself, and changing the file name to back-up the newly created file did not work, as the password for the new file did not open the new file, once I backed it up.

Yesterday when I first asked the question, I also learned that the new Quicken company can reset a password, but not for Q-99. Unfortunately, it appears that the only way to open that data file in Q-99 is to remember the password. Self-hypnosis, maybe? hahaha

I thought I might be able to use GnuCash and import the back-up file somehow. I have not yet been able to make that work.

All I want is a check register to limit any errors to D/E errors. It has been several years since I even created a report. I have never used Quicken for investments--Q-99 has more bells and whistles than I ever use, but I do want access to the years of history that are on that data file.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.