WebView2 Runtime is not installed - Win 10 in a Parallels VM on MAC

Options
Brian Preston
Brian Preston Member ✭✭

I am very frustrated by this message because Quicken support staff makes no sense. When I try to open a file in Q Premier R50.8, I get this message which continues to say click OK to download the file. I click OK and the file downloads and then I get a message that it can't install the file because it's already installed. Q staff then says they con't use that file and it's not their problem, but Q tells me very clearly that I have to install the file and they have an install window that opens.

I run Win 10 in a Parallels VM, and I've worked s3 hrs with Parallels, updating Windows, parallels, and everything else they suggest to try and remedy the issue. They said it has to be a Quicken problem. Has anyone else had this issue? It started yesterday after I entered a check transaction and then tried to update Q. The message popped up and I can't eliminate it.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Are you running the US or Canadian version of Quicken ?

This has been reported in the Canada version - but I think this is the first if for the native US Win10 version -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Brian Preston
    Brian Preston Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the US version. I have this issue with Premier in a Win 10 VM on my Mac. No problems until 2 days ago. And a Q tech support call said it was a MS problem, yet Q asked me to download and install the "missing" software despite it being installed already when I try to do so. Q denies it's their problem and says call MS, and MS says it's installed and working properly. When Q tech support says they don't use thatsoftware and they have no links or instructions to generate those messages, who am I to believe?

• Brian Preston
    Brian Preston Member ✭✭
    Options

Reading thru the threads from Canadian users, I've gone into Win and run a repair on Edge WebView 2 Runtime, which should have cleaned up this error if it's an MS issue. Didn't work at all.

• CarolBade
    CarolBade Member
    Options

I received the same message. I run quicken for windows with a crossover interface. I received this message: Failed to cache the downloaded installer error 0x800b0109. Since I use crossover it says it can't download in the correct bottle. I have 4 bottles and I have tried everyone. Nothing works.

• CarolBade
    CarolBade Member
    Options

I am adding to comment above. The first message I receive is "Quicken cannot load this page because WebView2 Runtime is not installed. Click OK to download the installer. I do that and then I get the above message

• KL101
    KL101 Member
    Options

I'm running the US Windows version of Premier. This problem popped up after I received the 50.8 update. At the time my old laptop was running Windows 7 Pro. I performed the recommended uninstall of Edge WebView2 runtime and discovered to my dismay that Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 as of January 2023. Therefore, no re-install or update of Edge/Edge WebView2 was possible for Windows 7. I upgraded the laptop to Windows 10 Pro and still get this Edge WebView2 runtime not installed error. Current installed version of Quicken is 50.15. Current version of Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime is 114.0.1823.58, 6/27/2023. Over the last 2 weeks the program has successfully connected only 5 times. As a side note, clicking Update using version 50.15 is quirky; I need to click both quotes and all to update my investment data, whereas, previously I just clicked on Update.

• Frankvo
    Frankvo Member
    Options

I am having the same problem with US subscription version. Started about two weeks ago after an update. Q support directed me to MS who tried to help to no avail. Just tried downloading a Quicken update but still getting “Quicken cannot load this page because Webview2 Runtime is not installed. Clink Ok to download the installer.” And as those following this tread know that leads to “installation failed. The Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime is already installed for the system” . very frustrating and annoying.
    Quicken please fix!

• BlackMarlin
    BlackMarlin Member
    Options

I am also having the same problem with the US subscription version of Quicken running in a Windows 10 virtual machine (using Parallels Version 18.3.1, the latest version) on my MacBook Pro. I just opened Quicken which automatically updated and then when I tried to open my Quicken file I got the same messages that Quicken cannot load because Webveiw2 runtime is not installed. Then when I follow the prompts to install it, I get a message: Insallation failed. The Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime is already installed for the system. Now I can't open my Quicken file at all, having tried multiple times. I saw the Runtime message once before, but it is only since today's update by Quicken that I am locked out of my Quicken file. I have no need for Webview2 Runtime or even Microsoft Edge. THIS IS A QUICKEN PROBLEM. QUICKEN, PLEASE FIX IT ASAP.

• dfpowell
    dfpowell Member
    Options

I have the same problem as described above, Win10, software unusable. Intuit/Quicken, please get this fixed ASAP.

• Timm B
    Timm B Member
    Options

Same problem as above, running Win 10 with Fusion. This needs to be fixed soon.

• elmer706
    elmer706 Member
    Options

Same problem. What is the fix?

• LloydHarmon
    LloydHarmon Member
    Options

I have the same problem using the US version. I used the Microsoft Developer Evergreen Bootstrapper to download and install the latest WebView2 Runtime. I ran everything as Administrator. The problem persists. I'm running Win10 Pro, version 22H2, OS build 19045.3086. This is definitely a Quicken problem, and my subscription (read my money) is still ticking. If you get the idea I'm irked, that's not the half of it.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

If possible, please answer the questions below when you submit the report, since that information will help with further investigating the issue.

The error message you are describing is a Windows error message. Did this start happening immediately after a Windows update? Which Windows version and OS build are you running? For those who haven't specified, are you running Windows 10 as the main OS on your computer, or are you running it in a Virtual Machine (VM)? If you are using a VM, which software are you using to run the VM (Parallels, Fusion, etc)?

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-7145)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Timm B
    Timm B Member
    Options

Uninstalling in settings the "Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime" App then running Quicken & re-installing it there seemed to fix this issue for me. It remains to be seen if this is a permanent fix.

• TeamPlasmaFan64
    Options

I had the same issue as others. US Subscription User. I run Windows 10 within Parallels on a Mac. I did what you described and it resolved my problem as well. BTW, a little more detail on the uninstall…the "Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime" is installed just like any other application and you simply uninstall that application.

• BlackMarlin
    BlackMarlin Member
    Options

Uninstalling "Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime" is not a fix. I did so and could access my Quicken file for a few hours. However, when I tried to run One Step Update within Quicken, it shut down with the same old message "Quicken cannot load this page because Webview2 Runtime is not installed. Click OK to download the installer" THIS IS A QUICKEN MESSAGE NOT A MICROSOFT MESSAGE AS QUICKEN KRISTINA SAYS ABOVE. It pops up within Quicken in a box that has "Quicken" in the top left corner. If you click to download the installer that just takes you back into the endless cycle described above, i.e. the following message appears "Installation failed. The Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime is already installed for the system" QUICKEN PLEASE FIX THIS!

• o2bndair
    o2bndair Member ✭✭
    Options

I uninstalled Webview2, rebooted, reinstalled Quicken. Did not fix the problem. Quicken Premier Windows

• edstoneb
    edstoneb Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been having the same problem since late June. Some times when I restart Windows Quicken loads OK. Then the next time it doesn't. Running Windows 10 VM in Parallels Version 18.3.1 (53614)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would like to suggest for anyone with the WEBVIEW2 problem - there are 3 reported scenarios… Running the Canadian version. Running the US version, but on a MAC with a Windows emulator, and maybe - Running the US version under native Windows…

If running US version under plain old native Windows - please create a new topic reflecting that, so not to confuse with the other 2 existing topics

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• seattlechuck
    seattlechuck Member
    Options

I have the same error immediately after a Quicken update. Quicken worked before the update fine, now after the Quicken update, Quicken is reporting that "It's a Microsoft Issue". Come on Quicken - get it together. Resolve the issue, even if it is compatibility with another Company.

I don't get this lazy and protracted tech support with other programs. This is very similar to the sync issue with banks that occurred early this year and is now back again. That bug took over 3 weeks to install!

• Quicken KD
    Quicken KD Moderator, Employee, Windows Beta, Canada Beta mod
    Options

Hi All, Could you please confirm if your windows operating system is 32 bit or 64 bit version?

• BlackMarlin
    BlackMarlin Member
    Options

32-bit operating system, x64-based processor

• JerryVan
    JerryVan Member
    Options

Microsoft Edge message always comes up when I try to download using my Firefox browser in Quicken. They should return to the old method of doing a download before they changed it. i am using Windows 7 on a 32 bit machine

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JerryVan - Microsoft Edge message always comes up when I try to download using my Firefox browser in Quicken. 

have no idea what you are talking about - "download using FF browser in Quicken" ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Guess Quicken is using this to display various text screens -

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• billc4360
    billc4360 Member
    Options

Same problem with WebView2 not installed suddenly occurred with my setup. I am running Parallels 18.3.2, Windows 10, on a MacBookPro. This has worked flawlessly over many years, until 7-29-2023 when a Quicken Update arrived. "WebView2 Runtime not installed", when it was clearly installed, as indicated in the Windows 10 Programs list.

Good news for me: I got some tips this morning reading this thread! Here's what I did next:

I uninstalled WebView2 Runtime, and left it uninstalled. I then ran Quicken. Quicken paused its loading, and the Quicken window popped up saying that "WebView2 Runtime is not installed". I then Downloaded the new WebView2 file, and did the install. Quicken then completely crashed and quit. I ran Quicken again immediately, and it ran, but opening a Quicken webpage this time, and asking for me to log-in to my Quicken account. I logged in. At this point, the Login page said OK and disappeared, and then Quicken began operating, asking me to select a data file to load! So far, all is back to normal.

Sorry for the long message. I didn't want to leave out a detail, or a sequence, that might help someone else. I had called Quicken support yesterday, got nowhere, was told to wait for a patch…. At least my Quicken Support guy didn't tell me it was a MS problem. :O)

• KL101
    KL101 Member
    Options

Those who still have the "Edge WebView2 Runtime not installed" problem should download the latest manual update, R15.12. Quicken is now back to loading my data without problem.

• adf332
    adf332 Member
    Options

I'm running VM ware with Windows 7 Quicken version R50.8 worked. The version of WebView 2.0 I had was July 29. When I removed and reinstalled it, it showed. 8/8/2023 I had to log in to Quicken with username and password, then back up and running. Thanks all for the support.

• gettin-it-don
    Options

Solved for me - I finally got it to work. I uninstalled Edge WebView2 Runtime - then I ran CCleaner's registry cleanup tool, (I always remove everything it finds, been using CCleaner - CrapCleaner for years without an issue) I read through the list and saw 2 "entries" of webView2 - removed all suggested. Opened quicken file again and got same popup "WebView2 not installed - downloaded a new exe and ran it as directed - my quicken files are working now without popup. Blessings people…

This discussion has been closed.