VALIDATE/SUPER VALIDATE

Options

I am unable to Validate or Super Validate my primary data file. Hangs on "Checking Stock Splits". Odd because I have no stock info in Quicken. How do I fix? Is my data at risk?

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @George Anderson,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue start? What prompted you to run a validate on your file? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• George Anderson
    George Anderson Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for responding. First noticed this around 6/20. Am trying to resolve why my downloaded transactions are not automatically categorizing. This in on my local C: drive The file was synced to the Quicken Cloud. I have turned that off now.

Just tried a Validate and again it failed while Checking Stock Spites (which I have none) and showed the same Not Responding.

Baffled!!

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since you mentioned that the original problem is downloaded transactions not automatically categorizing, have you gone to Edit>Preferences>Downloaded transactions and verified that Automatically categorize transactions is turned on?

If Automatically categorize transactions isn't turned on, try turning it on and check to see if the original issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, since Validating gets stuck, try running a Super Validate.

Prior to running the Super Validate, please backup your Quicken file. Once your file is backed up, follow these steps:

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

If it gets stuck during the Super Validate or if the issue persists after the Super Validate is complete, the next step would be restoring a backup from before the issue started and checking to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

Note: Please ensure you are giving it adequate time to complete. Sometimes a super validate can be time consuming if the file is large or there are a lot of issues it needs to fix.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• George Anderson
    George Anderson Member ✭✭
    Options

Super Validate fails just like Validate. Have done all you suggested, except restore a backup and validate it. Will try that later

This discussion has been closed.