How do I make Quicken stop overriding my split lines?

Options
briankelly
briankelly Member ✭✭

Quicken remembers split lines from earlier transactions and uses them to override what I actually enter. Example: When I receive a direct deposit, the name of the payee is my employer and I have a number of split lines for the salary, taxes, insurance, etc. as described on my paystub.

A few times a year, I receive a distribution of RSUs into a brokerage account, so I create an "Other Cash Transaction" and fill in the payee as my employer name. As soon as I do that, it fills in the amount of my paycheck and the split lines associated with it, even before I enter an amount.

That would be fine, as the distribution is also going have splits for taxes withheld, so I click on the Split button, modify all the values, hit the Adjust button to make it all add up properly, and then hit OK.

As soon as I do that, it changes the total AND all the split lines back to the paycheck amount, losing all my changes.

Any suggestion on making Quicken stop doing this? I want it to remember previous payees and try to help me fill in the category/splits, but I also want it to respect the changes I make after that!

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But are you first changing the Net amount of the deposit before you hit Adjust?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Use a different payee name for the RSU deposit, like Employer Name RSU.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• briankelly
    briankelly Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

In response to "But are you first changing the Net amount of the deposit before you hit Adjust?"

That is what the "Adjust" button does. You cannot manually change the Net amount in the split window and you cannot change the Net amount in the parent window once it has split lines.

• briankelly
    briankelly Member ✭✭
    Options

That only works once (because that is exactly how I worked around it)… until the next RSU and you have to come up with a another new name. That should not be necessary.

• volvogirl
    Options

No. When you first enter the transaction you type in the new net amount before you edit the split lines. Then it should adjust to the new net. Now it wants to adjust to the old deposit.

• briankelly
    briankelly Member ✭✭
    Options

I do not think that you are reading carefully, so I will provide a series of (mocked up) screenshots.

As soon as I start entering my employer name in the Payee box, it suggests the employer. If you select it or Tab off, it automatically fills in the memorized amount from the paycheck and that field is not editable as shown here—it is greyed out:

If you open the splits, you can see that they are filled in with the lines from the memorized paycheck as shown:

Now, you want all those lines, so at first, this seems convenient—Maybe you received $4,000 value in RSU with a net of $2,000, so you modify all the values without having to pick the categories as shown. As you do this, it keeps trying to drive the total back to $1,000 with the unwanted value on line 7:

Since we are trying to get to $2,000, once everything else is correct, I click "Adjust", which correctly sets it to $2,000 total with no line 7:

As soon as I hit <OK>, however, it reverts back:

And, if I go back in to look at the splits, they are reverted back:

Another slightly different approach—Type in the Payee and very carefully click somewhere else—that is, do not "Tab" out or select it from the dropdown—and then click the split button to start entering your split lines manually—also does not work. As soon as you click Split, it populates the split page with the line items from the memorized paycheck transaction and you are in the same situation..

Another approach, enter the transaction total first, then click "Split"—error: A payee is required.

Another approach, enter the transaction total first, then enter the Payee name and click Split—it again reverts to the splits from the memorized transaction splits and loses the total I just manually entered. On a side note, even if that had worked, it would be silly—why should I have to enter something in column two of row three first?

There is no way to avoid it unless I use a different Payee name, which I should not have to do.

Note that there is a similar situation (which is possibly the scenario you are thinking off) when entering a Reminder transaction. If I have a paycheck set up as a scheduled transaction, a given paycheck might be slightly off the reminder transaction by a few cents due to the on-going rounding on Medicare and SocSec throughout the year. In this case, I can start to enter the reminder transaction, click the Split button, update the Medicare amount, and a new line item shows up for a few cents trying to drive me back to the original value on the scheduled transaction. In that case, if I click Adjust, it removes that line item and keeps my changes when I click OK, updating the total to the new amount. In other words, that works.

It is only a problem when Quicken is trying to help by providing me a memorized transaction. It may also be tied specifically to cash transactions in a brokerage account, as I cannot recall every seeing it in checking/savings accounts—Adjust always works properly—but it happens 100% of the time for me (every quarter or so, when I get a distribution) in the brokerage account.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Using Employer Name as the payee for your paycheck and Employer Name RSU for the RSU deposit should provide two separate and distinct memorized payees each with its own amount and splits. Subsequent transactions using one of those payees will use that distinct memorized payee and splits.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    Options

Oh, you are entering into an investment account. That probably works differently.

• briankelly
    briankelly Member ✭✭
    Options

Sadly, not true. I had already worked around this once using "<Employer>—RSU" and next time I tried to use that, it remembered the splits from last time and overrode mine.

• briankelly
    briankelly Member ✭✭
    Options

Apparently… but it shouldn't. If I make a change, Quicken should respect my change.

This discussion has been closed.