Importing a QFX file into a specific account however creates another account

Options
yserluco
yserluco Member

How do I specify the account I want to import to? Currently, when using File→>import, it asks for the QFX file but does not ask for the account to import to. Please help. Thanks.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the account you want to import into currently activated for downloading using One Step Update?
    If so, creating a (temporary) new account register would be the only alternative, unless you want to deactivate the account register before importing.

• yserluco
    yserluco Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. Here are my responses:

Is the account you want to import into currently activated for downloading using One Step Update?

.. Yes, it is. However it didn't download all the transactions. That's why I want to load the ones it didn't download.

If so, creating new (temporary) new account register would be the only alternative, unless you want to deactivate the account register before importing.

… That's what the import did is to create a temporary new account register. So how would I merge these two accounts - the original and temporary into one? I don't want to deactivate since when I did that to another account to import, I can't then switch the connection to webconnect+

Any other advice please? Thanks.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have the new temp account register already created, you can (relatively) easily move the transactions which you need from temp to original register:
    In the temp register remember to never move the Opening Balance transaction. Block-select the transactions you need (similar to selecting files with Windows File Explorer, e.g., click first transaction, scroll down to last transaction needed, shift-click last transaction). Right-click one of the now-highlighted transactions and select "Move transactions" from the popup. An account selection list appears. Pick the desired original account from the list. The transactions will now appear there.
    When you're done moving transactions you can delete the temporary account register.

• yserluco
    yserluco Member
    Options

Hi, thank you so much. It worked fine. However, now the online balance don't match the ending balance. Please advise. Thanks

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Online Balance is downloaded from the bank, as of the last One Step Update download.
    You just imported a bunch of transactions to backfill your register with older transactions. Now you've got some cleanup to do.
    Locate the Opening Balance transaction in your register and set it to the desired starting date and what the account balance should be, as per the bank statement on that date, e.g. 12/31/2022
    The opening Balance transaction must be the oldest transaction, by date, in your register.

Now compare your register to printed bank statements, add missing transactions, delete duplicates, change Payee Names to ones you'd like to use vs. what was downloaded, categorize transactions as needed, verify amounts are correct.

Going forward one month, one bank statement at a time, you should be able to match the register balance to the bank statement's month end balance until you reach today's transactions.

This discussion has been closed.