Investment Fee Classification

Robert Lynch
Robert Lynch Member ✭✭

How does everyone handle the quarterly management fees charged in your investment accounts? The canned fields in Investment categories, none seem like the correct classification.

I tried making a new subcategory in Investments and it will not allow me.

Thank you

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

I've mostly managed to avoid those, but for a few years I paid fees like that in my HSA. I have a category "Bank Charges" that I use for things like ATM fees, I wound up putting those investment fees in that.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

For this purpose, I created a new category "Investment Fees" as a new top level category. As you observed, the top level "Investments" category is reserved for Quicken use and cannot be modified, including adding subcategories. There's really no harm in creating your own category though.

If you wish the new category to show up in the tax report, you can associate with a tax form by editing the category and check the "Tax Related" box.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Michael B
    Michael B Mac Beta Beta

I created a new category called Professional fees, I can then use it for my investment accounts, attorney, accountant and others

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

There's no right or wrong way here, but you might want to consider making subcategories of your Profession Fees categories for Investment Fees, Attorney Fees, Accountant Fees, etc. This is in case you ever want to report/search on just one of these. It's much easier to separate them now than to try to do so later if they are lumped together.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.