Solution for Quicken not Downloading Bank Account Data When Other Approaches Fail

Options

For the past couple weeks, I have been having trouble downloading transactions into Quicken from my Chase and Marcus accounts. I spent some time on the phone with tech support, but they were unable to resolve the issue. They told me the only solution they could offer was to create a new file that would be limited to three years of historical data. Since I have over 20 years of data on Quicken, I was reluctant to take that approach.

After a few days of experimentation, I came up with a solution. I converted my old Quicken data into a quicken transfer file (.QXF) and set that aside. I then uninstalled quicken (including previous backup versions of my old data) and created a new installation. I added a dummy cash account with a zero balance to that installation and then imported the .QXF file into the new installation. The final step was to delete the dummy cash account. I am now able to download transactions from my Chase and Marcus accounts and have all my old data.

Two iterations of this that did not work were:

setting up a new Quicken installation with new Chase and Marcus accounts, confirming that data could be downloaded into those accounts and then trying to import the transfer file into the new installation. This resulted in duplicate Chase and Marcus accounts with download data into the new accounts.

Trying to import the .QXF file into the new installation of Quicken before creating the dummy cash account. For some reason this does not seem to work so the dummy account is necessary as a preliminary step before importing the .QXF file.

This discussion has been closed.