Day Gain/Loss in investment account showing huge loss with no transactions for period

Options
Robhawaii
Robhawaii Member ✭✭

My portfolio graph showed a huge spike in value on 6/30/23 then dropped back to the actual balance the next day. By using the drop down menu I narrowed the problem to my IRA account, by only checking this account in the dropdown list. There were two Reinvest Dividend transactions on 6/30/23 for $171.03 and $3.14. I deleted the transactions and entered them manually. However, the graph and day gain/loss, for this account, did not change.

I also reviewed the entire portfolio values and looked for any missing cost basis entries, which there were none. The Market Value in the window and registers is all correct. What else should I look for that is causing the Day Gail/Loss and graph to spike, with no matching transactions.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Robhawaii
    Robhawaii Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, that worked to find the problem. With an As Of Date of 6/30/23 there are 3 transactions for a security that are inflated. I made 3 purchases in June, July, and August 2021 for $12,000. The Market Value as of 6/30/23 for each transaction is over $1MM each. I switched to the Dashboard and clicked on the security to check the Price History. There was one entry on 6/30/23 that was incorrect that I just deleted. I download from Vanguard 2-3 times a week. I did not enter this price entry manually.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'd go to the Portfolio/Value view for that account. Then sort by the Price column, highest to lowest. Then click in the Date As Of field and start hitting the minus key to decrement one day at a time while watching the top of the Price column. If you see an oddly high price jump up there on the day in question, that would be the issue.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Robhawaii
    Robhawaii Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, that worked to find the problem. With an As Of Date of 6/30/23 there are 3 transactions for a security that are inflated. I made 3 purchases in June, July, and August 2021 for $12,000. The Market Value as of 6/30/23 for each transaction is over $1MM each. I switched to the Dashboard and clicked on the security to check the Price History. There was one entry on 6/30/23 that was incorrect that I just deleted. I download from Vanguard 2-3 times a week. I did not enter this price entry manually.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I guess we can chalk it up to a pricing server glitch. Glad you got it sorted.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.