How to move & convert Quicken for Windows files to Quicken for Mac

Milwkeemark
Milwkeemark Quicken Mac Subscription Member

I have managed my mother's finances on her Windows computer using Quicken Deluxe for Windows. I manage my own finances on my Mac using Quicken for Mac Subscription. Mom uses a different bank than I do.

I would like to move her Quicken file to my Mac so that everything is in one place. I DO NOT want to screw up my own Quicken for Mac file!

What do I need to do to move her Quicken file to my Mac and not mix up her accounts with mine?

I hope this makes sense . . . thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Best Answer

Answers

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓

You won't mix her accounts with yours, you can have multiple Quicken files with different accounts in them.

This should help you convert your file to Quicken Mac:

https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016

• Milwkeemark
    Milwkeemark Quicken Mac Subscription Member

Thanks Jon . . . looks like it will be easy to do. Much appreciated!

• Yogi14
    Yogi14 Quicken Windows 2017 Member

I have multiple files in quicken windows. I’m converting to Mac. After validating my files, I began the conversion process. I converted my first file, but when I attempted to convert my second file, instead of maintaining its own file name, it merged with the first file.

• Yogi14
    Yogi14 Quicken Windows 2017 Member

I have multiple files in quicken windows. I’m converting to Mac. After validating my files, I began the conversion process. I converted my first file, but when I attempted to convert my second file, instead of maintaining its own file name, it merged with the first file

• Jon
    Jon Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

How I would do it is create a new Quicken Mac file & import the first Quicken Windows file into it. Then close that file, create another new Quicken Mac file & import the next Quicken Windows file into it. Lather, rinse & repeat until you've processed all the Quicken Windows files. I tried that just now with some old QWin files & they didn't get mixed together.

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Yogi14 I suspect you used the File > Import command. That will import your file into the Quicken data file which is already open. Instead, for each Quicken Windows file you want to convert, in Quicken Mac you need to start with File > New > Start from a Quicken for Windows file. This will create a new Quicken Mac file from each Quicken Windows file.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2023

[Duplicate post after topics were merged.]

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

@yogi14 - seems like a dup posting - will request a merge -

This discussion has been closed.