Quicken support for Canada

Options
YurkoWasHere
YurkoWasHere Member

I am wondering if any other Canadians are having issues with Quicken. I get this vibe that Quicken does not care about Canada.

It started when I downloaded my transactions from 3 major Canadian banks. All the transfers where not matched. Transfers from Savings 1 to Savings 2 has a new unmatched transaction in the ledger. Savings 1 transfer showed category as [Savings 1] and Savings 2 as [Savings 2] (Instead of Savings 1 showing [Savings 2]) There does not even seem to be an easy way to match them. Over an hour on the phone with support the answer is "its the banks fault". Other software does not have seem to have this problem including Quick Books. And all 3 major backs have the same flaw?

I started wondering if this is a lost cause trying to use Quicken in Canada. Does intuit even care about us?

Buying Quicken was a chore since their site does not support Canadian Postal Codes. Support indicated "its a known problem"

Then looking at the Support site there is a link to a side stating "If you're experiencing a bank error, check our Bank Feed Status page before you call support." Which has a certificate that has been expired since the beginning of the year.

Are the any other Canadians Quicken users out there?

Anyone else experience this transfer problem?

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have no issue with matching transfer transactions between Canadian financial institutions and accounts. It has worked fine for about 30 years for me - using the Canadian version and Web Connect and Express Web Connect. For example, I have no issue matching between RBC accounts or between RBC and BMO. I suggest you provide more details, including which financial institutions you are using.

BTW, Intuit sold Quicken to a private equity investor several years ago.

Are you using Quicken or Quickbooks? The screen shot you posted references Quickbooks.

• YurkoWasHere
    YurkoWasHere Member
    Options

Wow i just posted a comment and it disparaged after clicking Post Comment. :( Let me try to re-construct.

I did not know Quicken was sold of. I used Quicken back in the day with Intuit and it worked very well. Any reference to quickbooks is not intended and maybe my wires was crossed I apologize for this. Im not sure how i got to the quickbooks url.

After spending over an hour on the phone with support and the solution was "its your bank" its very frustrating.

Let me be specific.

A clean Quicken file (file, new quicken file) so its a clean slate. No memorized transactions or payees or anything. No data at all.

I add an RBC account.

Quicken connects to RBC and downloads data for several bank account in the RBC account.

Lets call two of them Savings 1 and Savings 2

There is a transfer of 2,000 from Savings 1 to Savings 2

This is what appears in Quicken after quicken downloads the transaction.

In savings 1 there is a transaction like this

Date: 6/15/2023
    Payee: Www Transfer - 2912
    Memo: WWW TRANSFER - 2912
    Category: [Savings 1]
    Payment: 2,000

In Savings 2 there is a transaction like this

Payee: Www Trf Dda - 2912
    Memo:
    Category: [Savings 2]
    Deposit: 2,000

So this is two distinct transactions, not linked in anyway.

My expectation would be they would be linked, or at very least some ability to link these two transactions together.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

They only get "linked" (i.e. recognized as a transfer) in Quicken once you enter a Transfer transaction manually in Quicken. It's that simple. I always manually enter transfer transactions in Quicken at the time when I make transfers on web or mobile banking. It's not a financial institution issue; it's just how Quicken works.

• YurkoWasHere
    YurkoWasHere Member
    Options

I am talking about Quicken. Perhaps i have my wires crossed somewhere, in which case i apologize. I did not know Quicken was sold. It has been a while since I used Quicken and I had a good experience back then so I decided to try it out again.

I'm very confused that things work for you, especial after spending over an hour on the phone with support with no resolution except "your bank is at fault".

The scenario:

A brand new Quicken file (so nothing memorized or anything nothing added to it. Clean Slate).

Add a new account using RBC. It imported two accounts, lets call them Savings 1 and Savings 2

All transactions download correctly (for these accounts)

In one of the accounts (Savings 1) i get an entry like this for a transfer for $2,000

In account called Savings 1
    Payee: Www Transfer - 7423
    Memo: WWW TRANSFER - 7423
    Category: [Savings 1]
    Payment: $ 2,000

In account called Savings 2 where the transfer was sent to it looks like this

Payee: Www Trf Dda - 7423
    Memo:
    Category: [Savings 2]
    Deposit: $ 2,000

These are two separate transactions, not matched or linked in any way. You will notice that Savings 2 is a transfer to Savings 2 (Not Savings 1).

• YurkoWasHere
    YurkoWasHere Member
    Options

Reading this Quicken doc it makes no mention of having to make manual transactions ahead of time. It makes it sound that at the time of download if it finds a matching transaction in another account it will create the transfer between accounts.

help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Transfer+detection+preferences

(Cant post links because im too "new")

Quickbooks, and HomeBank both make the matches for you. I even recall the old Quicken would do this.

I have many automatic transfers that take place. It would not be possible to create all these transactions ahead of time. In fact the reason in look to Quicken is to offload that workload onto a computer.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

Maybe I've forgotten about that because I do manually enter transfers. I've got that transfer detect setting set so that it automatically detects and requests confirmation before entering.

Are you allowing Quicken to automatically enter downloaded transactions in the register or do you manually accept the downloaded transactions into the register?

I'll do a test transfer with RBC without manually entering the transfer and see what happens for me.

I too have some automatic transfers, but since they are set up as scheduled transactions in Quicken they are essentially entered in advance.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I just processed the test transfer between two RBC accounts. We'll need to wait until late tomorrow or early Thursday for that transaction to download and see how Quicken processes it. Maybe they've messed up this feature in the latest release?

• YurkoWasHere
    YurkoWasHere Member
    Options

Are you allowing Quicken to automatically enter downloaded
    transactions in the register or do you manually accept the downloaded
    transactions into the register?

Looks like it is Automatically add to bank registers. I turned it off and manually accepting them. It does not allow me to match them as a transfer either just as a transaction. However I can accept one side of the transfer, change the category to the target account, then on the target account accept the match that now occurs.

Its an improvement in steps from fixing it after the fact, but still not what i would expect Quicken to do.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

My test transactions downloaded and Quicken did not Automatically Detect the Transfer, which it should have. It seems that feature is broken in the Current Canadian Release. I will report this using the Report a Problem feature in Quicken. Suggest you do the same.

I wonder when this feature stopped working? Maybe it was long ago and that's what got me started with manual pre-entry of transfers?

Thanks for raising this issue.

• YurkoWasHere
    YurkoWasHere Member
    Options

I will report this using the Report a Problem feature in Quicken. Suggest you do the same.

I reported it while i was on the phone with support. The answer i got when i asked "will i hear back from them" was that they will not get back to me because they already deemed it to be an issue with the banks. (which perplexes me why they even told me to do it!)

Im hoping it was just inexperienced CSR but after an hour long conversation with support and the manager as well, it did not instill confidence that they even acknowledged this as a fault on their side. With this happening to 3 banks, and for a prolonged time, as a software road map i would find a workaround.

Anyway fingers crossed.

Thanks for confirming what the expected outcome was in fact to be.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I recommend that you use also use the Report a Problem feature in Quicken. That feature creates an electronic problem report, which seems to get more attention than the Tier 1 support team provides to new issues. In my experience, Tier 1 support cannot be relied on to pass on issues reported by users. The more people who Report a Problem, the more attention given to the issue. I sometimes Report a Problem repeatedly until it eventually gets addressed.

I am skeptical this has anything to do with the banks… I suspect that is just a line that Tier 1 support fed you to manage their call duration metrics. I suspect that this is yet another case of a feature that used to work fine, stopped working with some revision/release and did not get detected in a timely way. Another example of this is the fact that Import Historical f/x Rates stopped working years ago. The feature is still in the program, but it only imports rates current to many years ago. It appears that feature was broken 8 or so years ago and still has not been fixed.

This discussion has been closed.