Can't import QM 2007 file to QM Starter - fixed... added .QDFM to my filename

MaryLRB
MaryLRB Quicken Mac 2017 Member ✭✭

After a scare involving the corruption of one of my main account Registers in QM 2007, I decided to bite the bullet and buy QM Starter. It downloaded fine and I was able to open it even though I'm still using Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra).

But when I tried to import my latest data file from 2007, I got an error message: "Could not import {file number}. The resource fork is missing".

I searched this forum and found an earlier long discussion about problems importing 2007 files without using the Cloud Converter. Some of what was said led me to try using QM 2017 as an interim step.

I had to pay for an online subscription to get Cloud Converter to work but it did allow me to open my latest data file in QM 2017. Then I closed the app, hoping that it would save the file in a format that QM Starter would recognize. No luck! I got the same error message when trying to open the newly saved 2017 data file.

Now that my earlier issue with my account register has been resolved, I could just go back to using QM 2007, but I know eventually I'll have to make the switch to the newer version. So I still need to know how to transfer my 2007 data files.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Are you saying that you successfully converted your Quicken 2007 data file to Quicken 2017, but then you can't open the Quicken 2017 data file in the current Quicken Starter subscription? I'm confused because you said you paid for a subscription to get the cloud converter to work — which I was thinking you meant Quicken Starter — but you said this allowed you to open your file in Quicken 2017? You should be able to go from Quicken 2007 to Quicken 2017 to Quicken Subscription. You can't go from Quicken Subscription to Quicken 2017, because the database format has changed over the years.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MaryLRB

This is a test. Last night two of my messages failed to post.

• MaryLRB

Sorry I wasn't clear about my process.

When I tried to open my current QM 2007 file in QM Starter, I got the message cited above about the resources fork being missing.

I then opened QM 2017, which is installed on my Mac but which I haven't used recently. It automatically opened a file where the most recent entries were from 2022. When I tried to Open my current 2007 file I was asked if I wanted to use Quicken Cloud. Since the only alternative was to cancel the operation, I clicked on the Cloud button and received a message that my "connected services have expired" and I needed to upgrade.

To my knowledge I've never had Quicken connection services; I've only used my 2007 desktop version and never wanted to download banking or investment info. So I clicked on the Upgrade button and ended up buying a subscription to QM Deluxe thinking I was getting a subscription to Q Cloud. (That one is on me for not reading all the fine print, but I was willing to try anything.)

As stated above, I was immediately able to open my 207 file in 2017. I then closed the 2017 app, hoping that it would save the converted file in a format that Starter would accept. No luck! Starter again gave me the message about the missing resource fork.

I have spent the last hour trying different ways to open files in 2017 and Starter, to no avail. In addition, I have not been able to reproduce opening the 2007 file in 2017. Every time I try I get the message about my connection services having expired. Apparently owning subscriptions to both Starter and Deluxe doesn't matter. Or I'm missing a step about connecting to Quicken Cloud so i can use the converter program.

I should add that when I look at the files in my Quicken Backup folder, I can't distinguish between the ones I've used in 2007 and those from 2017. None of them have extensions but they have different final characters, e.g. 32441Copy of 6211132111Dat; 32441Copy of 62111321111Data; 41Copy of 62111312111Data F.

At this point I'm stumped and frustrated. It feels like I'm not seeing something obvious. Probably at this point my brain is soggy. If someone can make something sensible of all this, I will be surprized but ecstatic.

• MaryLRB

Will try again to clarify my situation, if I can remember everything I went through last night 🤔

I bought Quicken starter but it wouldn't open my current 2007 data file. That's when I got the error message about the missing data fork.

Having read the other message thread, I then opened QM 2017, which I haven't used for a couple of years. It automatically opened a file where the last entries were from 2020. When I tried to open my current 2007 data file I got a message asking if I want to use Quicken Cloud to securely import my Q 2007 file. The only options were Cancel and Use Quicken Cloud, so I chose the latter. Then I got this

To my knowledge I never had any connection services but I clicked on the bar and was taken to the Quicken page where you buy the products. In my frustration I went ahead and purchased QM Deluxe, thinking that would activate the Cloud so I could do the conversion. After paying, however, nothing changed except that my new Quicken upgraded from Starter to Deluxe. When I tried again to open my 2007 file in 2017, it started the same cycle of messages.

I know I said that I was able to open a 2007 file in 2017 after purchasing QM Starter, but I have not been able to do that again, either last night after buying Deluxe or today. Do I have to log into something on the Quicken site to get to the converter program? I feel like I'm missing something that might be very simple.

• MaryLRB

Apologies for the duplicated messages. One of the two I thought I had lost last night just showed up. I hope that, between the two, someone can figure out what the problem is. 🙄

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Okay, let's dig into this. You now have a subscription for current Quicken Deluxe, correct? You're jumping between current subscription Quicken and Quicken 2017 in your description, and they're completely separate programs. I'm still not clear: you do or do not have a .quicken file created by importing your Quicken 2007 data into subscription Quicken Deluxe?

As for Quicken 2017, as I mentioned in my first message, I'm just not sure there's a path for using that. It cannot open a file created by the current Quicken Mac, because the file format has changed over the past 5+ years. And for Quicken 2017 to convert your Quicken 2007 data file, it needs to download the conversion utility — because Quicken 2017 is discontinued software, it's quite possible the converter for Quicken 2017 isn't accessible any more.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 Quicken Mac Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

BTW one of the common causes of this "missing data fork" is that the file pre-dates the naming convention that includes a suffix/extension. The solution is to simply add the ending .qdfm to your main data file name, then it might work. (I know, the error message makes no sense in this case but if sometimes works).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• MaryLRB

Responding to jacobs: Sorry I still wasn't clear. I've been trying to use QM 2017 as a bridge between 2007 and the current subscription Deluxe by opening my 2007 file in 2017, hoping it would then save the file in a format that Deluxe would recognize. It didn't work. I do have one .quicken file but when I open it in subscription Q Deluxe, nothing appears. None of my other old files files have extensions at all.

smayer97: You confirmed my suspicions that the lack of file name extensions was part of the problem. I just added .qdfm to my most recent file, then tried to open it in subscription Deluxe. It asked if I wanted to use the Cloud converter and when I said yes, it proceeded to upload and then download my file. It's taking a long time, probably because my transactions go back to 2004 but I have my fingers crossed that this will finally get my old data into the new QM Deluxe.

My thanks to both of you for sticking with me. As I've said before, this community forum is terrific!

• MaryLRB

It worked! I'm now using QM Deluxe 2023! Hooray! And thanks again … 😍

This discussion has been closed.