Vault password prompt at Windows startup

Options
Marvin Gardens
Marvin Gardens Member ✭✭✭

I have an automatic update scheduled, and told Quicken to prompt for the vault password when Windows starts. Most of the time this happens but sometimes it doesn’t.

Is there a way to force the scheduler to prompt for the password without rebooting Windows and and hoping it takes?

Tagged:

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

From what you describe Quicken is working as designed for schedule updates. You should only need to enter the Quicken password after a reboot of Windows, not everytime it wakes from sleep. If this is not what is happening for you, please elaborate.

• Marvin Gardens
    Options

Sorry. I wasn't clear. Normally when I reboot Windows I get a popup asking for my vault password. Quicken remembers it and uses it for every scheduled update, But sometimes when I reboot I do not get that popop. This often happens after applying Windows updates, which often means Windows restarts 2 or more times. I think Windows is somehow forgetting to start the background Quicken task that asks for the password. Quicken is not the only background process that is affected., Sometimes I have to manually start other background tasks that are supposed to start automatically when Windows reboots..

Instead of rebooting again is there a way to just manually start that Quicken task?

BTW I'm running Quicken Premier on Windows 11

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ah, that is problematic, but since you are having this issue with other processes, it does not sound to be a Quicken specific issue. It sounds as if something may not be set or installed correctly with Windows, but I cannot think of what may be at issue. The program you are looking for is named bagent.exe and resides in the application/quicken folder typically on C:

I also see a config file that I'm including if you want to compare with other problem startup processes.

• Marvin Gardens
    Options

I agree that this is not a Quicken problem, You can't blame it for not asking for the password when no one (Windows) told it to. The next time this happens I'll see if the Quicken Background Agent is running, and if not, try running bagent.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.