Add Account

Options
TPao
TPao Member ✭✭

I started to do this and got to the last step.

I decided I should make a backup first, so "x" out of screen.

Now when I try to add it says "Don't add to Quicken"

and nothing happens then

Answers

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the reason why you cannot add the account now is that Quicken thinks the account is already set up. When you got mostly the way through but quit the setup, not everything may have been "undone". Check the "Online Services" tab in Account Details and make sure online services are not set up. On the "General" tab make sure the Financial Institution and Account Number fields are blanked out. Then try the online setup again.

If it still says "Don't add to Quicken", try Validating and Super Validating your file and then try the online setup again.

If the online setup still doesn't work then there are other troubleshoots steps to take, but hopefully these will work for you.

• TPao
    TPao Member ✭✭
    Options

So, the account is there.

I can't delete it.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The account shouldn't be deleted. Do you mean the Account Name or Financial Institution Name cannot be deleted on the General tab?

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the account is there, that's ok. It shouldn't be deleted. You just need to set up online services again, but before you do, make sure that the online services tab in account details is not set up. You also would need to make sure that the Financial Institution and Account Number fields on the General tab are blank. After these things are verified then try setting up Online Services again, by going onto the Online Services tab and clicking on "Set up now..".

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

The other option is to delete the account and start over again from scratch. I know you said that the account is there, and you can't delete it, but did you try to by clicking on the "Delete" button at the bottom of the Account Details screen?

After you click on "Delete Account" you will be prompted for the next step to delete the account. After the account is deleted, you can start over with the new account setup process.

If you truly cannot delete the account, but wish to start over with the account set up, I think your best option would be to restore a data file backup from right before when you attempted to set up the account the first time. After you do this, you can then add the account again from scratch.

• TPao
    TPao Member ✭✭
    Options

So, the account is there. But the downloaded data is inan extirely new account. My goal was to download those transactions that I didn't manually create. Like auto pay transactions. Help, I'm lost.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

If I understand you correctly, you have 2 accounts - one that transactions are being downloaded to, and another with your transactions? If so, what I think happened is that when you set up online services, you set up a new account in Quicken rather than matching up with you existing account in Quicken. Am I understanding the situation correctly?

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

No matter what I think we can find the simplest solution to your situation. But I need to understand your situation accurately, so we don't cause additional issues.

It looks like we are dealing with 2 duplicate accounts. One new account that is set up with online services and downloaded transactions, and an existing account that has all of your transactions you manually entered but is not set up with online services. Can you tell me about how many transactions are in each account?

• TPao
    TPao Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the help.

I've taken over as volunteer Treasurer at our church.

In Quicken there are thousands of records dating back 20+ years with more than one bank. Only 1 active bank currently.

When I activated the active bank account it brought in 3 months of records into this NEW account.

My goal is to be able to downloads records that will be in the bank records but not in Quicken, into Quicken. These

would be auto pay records. Currently every check is manually created in Quicken. I'm looking to streamline that manual process.

Hopefully that's a better explanation of my quandry.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

It looks like when you added online services you inadvertently set up a new account in Quicken rather than connect the online services to the current account in Quicken.

Is there a separate account for each bank set up in Quicken? Or is there only one account with transactions for all banks? How far back do the transactions go for the active bank?

There are several ways we can proceed, after these questions are answered.

• TPao
    TPao Member ✭✭
    Options

There is only 1 bank. 10 Years!

For online that was the only account to choose.

Also, after I downloaded that all Quicken reports used that data not my Quicken file.

Thanks again

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

You only have two accounts on Quicken currently? The NEW account that was set up by mistake recently, and the Existing account?

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is what I think you need to do to get that account back up and running with online services:

1. Make a backup of your data file. The easiest way to do this is "Ctrl-B".
    2. Create a report for all transactions for both the New and Existing accounts. Export them to Excel if you wish. Set them aside for reconciling later if needed.
    3. In the New account, deactivate online services by going into the "Online Services" tab in "Account Details" and clicking on "Deactivate".
    4. In the Existing account go to "Account Details" and first verify that online services are not set up, and the Financial Institution and Account Number fields are blanked out on the "General tab"
    5. Set up online services In the Existing account, by going to the "Online Services" tab and clicking on "Set up Now…".
    6. Search for your bank and select it from the list.
    7. Enter your user id and password and go through the setup screens.
    8. When you get to the "Activate One Step Setup" screen that lists the accounts Quicken found at your bank, make sure to choose "Link to Existing" and click on the Existing account on Quicken. After this is done, click on "Next".
    9. The process might take a while, but you then should get an "Account Added" screen, and then you can hit "Finish".
    10. Your Existing account should now be set up with online services with your bank and your new transactions should be downloading to the Existing account.
    11. After you verify that the downloads (or One Step Update (OSU)) is working, it probably would be a good idea to reconcile your bank account with the Existing account on Quicken.
    12. If you are missing transactions in your Existing account, they might have downloaded to the New account. If that is the case, then you can use the "Move" transaction to move them to the Existing account.

I guess this is a start to get you going but let me know if you have any questions or issues.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

• A couple of additional items to note -
    • —After everything is working and verified in the Existing account, you can delete the New account by going into account details and clicking on "Delete Account" at the bottom left of the box.
    • —How online services work for you is dependent on what you want to do on Quicken and the online services offered by your bank.

• TPao
    TPao Member ✭✭
    Options

That's a lot!

I'll review all of your recommendations.

I should mention the link was done through Direct Connect if that has any bearing.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.