Online center cleared transactions cannot be cleared

Options
larryjoeb
larryjoeb Member ✭✭

Online center shows 13 transactions that cannot be cleared. It's weird that the exact same 13 transactions (same dollar amounts and dates) appear in multiple banking and investment accounts, sometimes 2-4 times in the same account. If I enable "Downloaded transactions" → "Automatically add to investment transactions lists", those transactions will appear in the investment register, and I can delete the 13 transactions from the register, but they still appear in the online center as cleared transactions, and in the future those 13 transactions appear again in the register.

I have tried multiple validate and repairs. I have also tried deleting the online service and setting up the online service again. Neither has helped.

How can I delete the cleared transactions from the online center?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @larryjoeb,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Do you recall which version of Quicken you were using when the issue started? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Have you performed a super-validation by holding Ctrl & Shift keys while clicking validate?

• larryjoeb
    larryjoeb Member ✭✭
    Options

I didn't know about the super validate. I just did the super validate. The uncleared transactions are still there. This is the output of the super validate. It's interesting that there are 18 "Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions" compared to the 13 uncleared transactions.

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    Found 1 downloaded transactions in Chase Checking that had already been entered. No action is necessary.
    Found 1 downloaded transactions that had already been entered. No action is necessary.

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012087080 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012095984 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012096776 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012125224 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012126280 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012079928 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012126184 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012127144 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012127368 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012076976 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012077360 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012129512 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012129704 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012129448 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012128904 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012130152 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012130472 to 0).

Corrected number of pending investment/banking transactions in account (1012130856 to 0).

• larryjoeb
    larryjoeb Member ✭✭
    Options

This issue has been happening for maybe the last 3-4 years or so. My earliest transactions are from about 20 years ago. I'm not sure which version of Quicken I was using when the problem first occurred. I keep all Quicken related files on an SSD on my desktop (on the E: drive). I backup the Quicken files with Backblaze, but it's a one-way backup to the cloud, i.e., the original files are not changed.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

With how long the issue has been going on, restoring from a backup probably isn't a viable option. I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file, which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• larryjoeb
    larryjoeb Member ✭✭
    Options

When I tried making a copy (not a full backup) with all checkboxes selected, I got the following error: "Copy File was unsuccessful. Quicken can retry, ignoring individual items which can't be copied. Try again, ignoring item copy errors?"

I then click on "OK". The end result is a popup that says, "File NOT copied." I tried again but copied with the "Uncleared transactions", "Investment transactions", and "Attachments" checkboxes unselected, but the result was the same.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Due to the nature of this issue, I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• markus1957
    Options

Try the template Copy again but this time hold the Shift key while clicking Next. It should start off using the ignore errors routine.

• larryjoeb
    larryjoeb Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried your suggestion but saw the same error. I also tried holding down Shift with both Next and the next-screen Save Copy, but that also had the same error.

• markus1957
    Options

When you say "cleared" as with a C in the Status column, do you actually mean unaccepted? Online center doesn't typically specify whether transaction is uncleared, cleared or reconciled.

Are any of these transactions dated in the future?

Try running a super-validate again to see if the same errors are found.

• larryjoeb
    larryjoeb Member ✭✭
    Options

In the online center, the 13 transactions for a particular account are labeled as "uncleared" in the online center. All the dates for each transaction are in the past and are always the same across all accounts. When I download transactions, these 13 transactions sometimes (but not always) then show up as new transactions in the account register. Sometimes, when I do the download again, the same set of 13 transactions will show up as a second set of 13 transactions in the register.

• markus1957
    Options

It's unlikely Quicken support will be of any near-term help. They might take an interest in looking at a sanitized version of your file in the interest of improving the validation routines.

Your file has corruption that none of the repair routines is fixing. Frustratingly, the file still seems to function reasonably well, but the failure to Copy even with Ignore selected is bad for long-term viability. If you haven't, try back-to-back super validates and validates. Super validate will sometimes delete corrupt QEL records, but yours don't seem to get deleted although the routine sees problems in the table. Turn Sync Off before doing the validates.

After a super validate, have you tried using automatically add, then accept the transaction rather than deleting it? After accepting then delete. Then super validate again. Close Quicken and open. See if Copy works. Or run super validate with the automatically add enabled for the problem accounts.

The idea is to keep trying to get those transactions into a state that validation or copy will remove them. A file that won't copy is a time bomb to failure.

Many years ago, you could use 7-zip to separate the Quicken QDF file into its components. The QEL component could be deleted, then opening the component qdf would recombine the component files and create a blank QEL. The downside of deleting the QEL will be a bunch of duplicates downloaded in the first OSU that need to be deleted. Not sure that old routine is even built into Quicken any more.

Maybe Quicken support has a way to delete or repair the QEL that is not generally known or available. If you figure it out, please post back with the solution.

This discussion has been closed.