Quicken Cloud account on second computer not working

Options
pitosalas
pitosalas Member

I have two macs. I installed and set up quicken mac (latest) on one computer. I set it up for mobile and cloud. I was able to access my data from the iPhone app.

On the other computer: I set up quicken for mac. It seemed to have created a new cloud account. Because in the cloud dialog box, I say show cloud accounts, it shows two. One was created two days ago and one right now.

I click on the one that was created two days ago (the good one) but it doesnt switch to it. It keeps showing me the new one that is all empty.

I think if I click "reset" it will lose all the info in the cloud account and make me worse off.

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

What you're trying to do won't work. You can't use the Quicken Cloud account to sync data between two Macs like that. The best you can do is either move the file back & forth between the two computers (this is what I do - it's on the desktop when I'm at home & on the laptop when traveling) or use desktop Quicken on one Mac and the web interface on the other Mac.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Just add to what Jon said… don't be tempted to store your Quicken data file on a cloud service (iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc) and then access it from both machines. That is not supported. It will appear to work at first, but it's very likely that the file will eventually become corrupted and unreadable.

If you move the file back and forth, you must compress it before moving and uncompress it after you move it. You can simply zip the file for this purpose. Or you can move a Quicken backup file which is a compressed format. In fact, you can simplify the process a bit by pointing your default backup location to a cloud location and then restore the most recent one from there each time. As opposed to the actual Quicken file, it is safe to store a Quicken backup file in the cloud.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • pitosalas
    pitosalas Member
    Options

thanks. I used quicken in the 90s too. But I quit it when it became (from what I recall) worse and worse as years passed. This new one seems like a total rewrite. It’s excellent. But this particular limitation is still stuck in the 90s 😊

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.