Desktop died

Options
skbaber
skbaber Member
edited September 2023 in Using Quicken on the Web

Quicken has been me source for managing my money and spending for many years. I have a kindle tablet and sill soon have a Dell laptop. How do I access my quicken now?

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

If you had online syncing turned on, you can at least look at your data via Quicken on the Web while you're waiting for your new computer to arrive.

But once it does you're going to need a copy of your Quicken data file from your old computer - you can't download data from Quicken on the Web to a new Quicken file on your new computer, at least not reliably. So hopefully you have a backup of your Quicken file that you can install on your new laptop. If not, and if your old computer is so dead that you can't even start it up anymore, perhaps you can remove the hard disk from your old computer and get the data off of it using an appropriate adapter cable. If it had a SATA hard disk or SSD you'd need a SATA to USB cable (something like this, for example); if you had an M.2 or NVMe they make USB adapters for those also.

As for installing the Quicken app, you can log into your account at Quicken.com and download a copy of the app from there.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• luchtg
    luchtg Member ✭✭
    Options

I fixed my crashing/non-starting issues I have been having since around 20 July 23. I reverted to the 3 July update so I am running R50.16. I turned off web/mobile update. Voila! I got OSU to work and no crashes. I also shortened the file name, eliminating spaces. So not it works as before, but I will try the latest update, 51.10 and see if it still works.

• luchtg
    luchtg Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, it still won't load when I start the program it hangs and crashes. However, if I load a dummy test data file, it will load if I click on the file instead of the QW icon. Once open, I can select my current file and work on it. That is the best work around so far. Pretty cumbersome , to be sure. I still haven't had the courage to load the latest 51.10 update.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?
    Please try this:
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your C:\Users_your_username_\Documents\Quicken folder.
    • Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.
    • If you get to this point without Quicken crashing

• • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
      https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• If you can't get Quicken to start at all,

• • uninstall Quicken using this procedure: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-uninstall-quicken-windows
    • • Now please open Windows File Explorer and navigate to This PC > C: Drive > Program Files (x86) and delete the folder titled "Quicken"

• When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from your account at quicken.com or your installation CD or saved downloaded installation file and allow it to update to the latest available patch release level.

This discussion has been closed.