read-only instance

Options
onbelay
onbelay Member

I do the finances w/ Quicken on laptop A. My wife just wants to be able to view the finances on laptop B. She doesn't want to accidentally update anything. The Quicken data file can easily be kept in a shared location. Is it possible to have read-only access to our Quicken data from laptop B?

Best Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think there is a non-traditional way to do that….send her a copy of the qdata file…..since it was passed to her computer as a copy, you both know that it is not the 'source file'. If she inadvertantly changes anything on her copy, it doesn't matter since your version is the 'gold standard'.

put a copy in the shared location

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Another good reason to send her a copy of the file, rather than keeping original in a shared location is that doing so can lead to data file corruption depending on the shared file location. It would be ok to store the file in a shared location, but not a good idea to open a data file directly from a shared location. If the shared location is used as a means to transfer the file to her, it is best if she then copies, or moves the file to her local drive on her laptop before she opens it.

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think there is a non-traditional way to do that….send her a copy of the qdata file…..since it was passed to her computer as a copy, you both know that it is not the 'source file'. If she inadvertantly changes anything on her copy, it doesn't matter since your version is the 'gold standard'.

put a copy in the shared location

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Another good reason to send her a copy of the file, rather than keeping original in a shared location is that doing so can lead to data file corruption depending on the shared file location. It would be ok to store the file in a shared location, but not a good idea to open a data file directly from a shared location. If the shared location is used as a means to transfer the file to her, it is best if she then copies, or moves the file to her local drive on her laptop before she opens it.

This discussion has been closed.