viewing tags in reports

Options
cram
cram Member
edited August 2023 in Reports (Mac)

Many of my transactions are tagged. When I do a search or report for a specific tag which has been paid by credit card the results shows the total credit card payment, not just the tagged amount which is what I wanted. Any way around this?

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Howdy, cram:

Live Searching is a great way to find quick answers. Unfortunately, if the searched item is part of a Split transaction, then the parent split gets shown instead of the child line. This makes sense, but doesn't help you.

I suspect you don't track your CC as an actual account in Quicken and do a split transaction breaking out your CC payment. This is not the preferred way, but some people do it that way.

You will have to create a Transaction By Tag report and edit the settings to show just that Tag:

Then, it will just show Split child lines containing those Tags. It may take a few trials for you to see the behavior of selecting tags in the reports, but I think you will figure it out.

(It's a simple example, but some of the above transactions were part of a split-I only see the pertinent child lines. )

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@John_in_NC's answer above is spot on, but just to summarize the key point: Search will always return the entire transaction which contains a matching item in a split line, while Reports will only report on only the actual split line matching the criterion. (John illustrated for Tags above, but it's the same if you were searching for or reporting on Categories.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.