two bank accounts mistakenly merged when "reauthorizing" my USAA accounts

Options

I have Quicken for Windows version R50.16. Approximately 5 months ago, Quicken required me to "reauthorize" my Chase accounts. After multiple failed attempts, they were finally reauthorized but I realized later than Quicken had merged new downloaded transactions between two completely different Chase credit cards. I barely got into figuring that out when Quicken started saying that I needed to reauthorize my USAA bank accounts too. Frustratingly, when I did that reauthorization, Quicken asked me if I wanted to merge the USAA accounts with my existing accounts. I, of course did (because I already had USAA account data for the prior two years), but Quicken instead merged my USAA savings account with my Broadway bank checking account (and the Broadway bank account was greyed out so it wasn't even an account that I could choose at the time). Hopefully there is some way to unmerge these accounts. Quicken has been useless to me since then because I'm afraid to continue to do updates to download any new transactions. After having already spent many hours updating my accounts, I don't want to lose any data and have to start all over. Please help. Unfortunately, I hadn't yet made a physical back-up of my transactions. Thanks.

Answers

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

@frustrated22

I know you are a Quicken Mac user, but I wanted to share this with you, so that you know you aren't the only one this is happening to.

That almost happened with me for my Amex accounts. When I got to the screen that shows the list of Amex accounts that Quicken found, one of my Amex accounts was automatically linked to my Optum HSA Cash account. I did catch it before I completed the linking. It would have been a mess to clean up if I hadn't caught it.

As you can see "Optum HSA-Cash" is in very light font and easily missed.

Is it possible for you to go back and restore a backup from before this happened? And then try to relink the accounts?

• frustrated22
    frustrated22 Member
    Options

I’ll try that using the automatic periodic Quicken backups. I didn’t think that I had any since I hadn’t yet backed up to an external drive. Thanks!

• frustrated22
    frustrated22 Member
    Options

by the way, I have Quicken for Windows

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I thought you using the Mac version because the post is in under a Mac category. Maybe one of the Admins can switch it to a Windows category. But glad you found a backup to use.

This discussion has been closed.