How do I buy and track a position in Silver?

Options
chall3809
chall3809 Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I bought a position in my Uphold wallet of Silver. It states that the symbol is XAG.

I can't figure out how to track this investment in Quicken.

Any suggestions?

Tagged:

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

XAG is the symbol of an "index", not a security. You could create your own "security" with no symbol to track your investment in (I assume) your physical silver, making each ounce or whatever a "share" and add XAG to your list of indexes that's reported to you, changing the "quote" of the new security based on what the index is telling you is the current price.

• chall3809
    chall3809 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too.

• chall3809
    chall3809 Member ✭✭
    Options

OK - I created a new type "Other" security with the symbol "XAG" and named it "Physical Silver". I unchecked the "Download" price option.

Everything is fine, i.e. I was able to purchase the security in my account, however, whenever I Import Security Prices (I generate my own CSV file that includes mostly Crypto assets) the price of the XAG symbol does not get updated. ALL of my Other type securities have their prices updated just fine.

What gives???

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think the problem is that "XAG" symbol which is a symbol for an index, not a security. Look at your security list and see what's in the "Type" column for your Physical Silver. It should be "Other", not "Market Index."

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would be more suspicious of your csv file formatting, though your experience importing crypto prices suggests you understand what you are doing. Check the details.

Which csv line formatting are you using?

I’ll also point out that csv price imports are low on the hierarchy of pricing sources. If by any chance you already had gotten prices entered for past dates, the csv file would not override those prior entries.

• chall3809
    chall3809 Member ✭✭
    Options

I got it worked out. You’re right it had to do with the CSV formatting.

The import File has to be alphabetically sorted.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The import File has to be alphabetically sorted.

Wow. That’s a new one for me.

This discussion has been closed.