My Quicken died this morning.

Options
David Christopher
David Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭

I am reporting on what happened this morning.

1. I tried to start Quicken and the program never loaded. The sceen looked like it was trying to open Quicken but never did. The screen kept going to sleep in seconds after I woke it up. Finally, a message came up saying Quicken stopped working and did I want to send in the error report. I did.
  2. I turned off my computer and let it cool down then restarted it and tried to load Quicken again. Same symptoms and I finally hit "Cont Alt Del" and closed the program.
  3. I downloaded a new Quicken install program.
  4. I uninstalled Quicken.
  5. I ran the install program. It looked like it was installing then a pop up came on screen that said their was a problem. The pop up gave two solutions. I forget the first one but the second one said to Uninstall Quicken then find the Program File and delete the folder and all the files it contained. I did both.
  6. I ran the install program again. It worked. The amazing thing that prompted me to write this post is that once I had logged in, my data file loaded. In other words, I did not have to go through the normal install process of choosing my data file and the other screens you used to have to complete. First time I had such an easy install as a current user.

Comments

• nyweasels
    nyweasels Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same issue. Reboot, Windows update. I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled yet but I guess that is what I have to do. :-(

• nyweasels
    nyweasels Member ✭✭
    Options

I reached out to support today after trying these steps and I couldn't get quicken to run. They directed me to do this and I was able to get Quicken opened and started!

okay, in this case in the quicken in the task bar while it is open, holding down Ctrl + Shift, right click > Maximize

• David Christopher
    David Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

well, in my case I could not get Quicken open to do that. I quest your solution depends on what “while it is open” means, the program or you see the Q in the task bat. Sounds like smoke to me, but if that worked for yoy, fine.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just for what it's worth, I will say that the two issues seem unrelated.

@nyweasels - your Quicken was probably working fine. I think the problem was that your Quicken window was minimized to the taskbar. When that happens, it is easy to miss, and a can be a real puzzle to get show or maximized again depending on your taskbar settings. You didn't mention that you had any error messages. That would be another indication that your Quicken was working, but just minimized to the taskbar.

@David Christopher - I am glad that you got Quicken working again and surprised that it prompted you to post your message. Also, maybe the reason you didn't go through the "normal" install process is that the second install just continued where you left off the first time. Just a guess on my part. I'm glad you posted though. Yours was an interesting and unusual situation.

This discussion has been closed.