How to remove previous windows/accounts from Doc (Q Mac)

Options
carol
carol Member ✭✭

Hi, hopefully someone can help. Mac Doc had the Q icon which when I click to pen I get a choice of several Quicken Windows to open. This is usually because the data has been backed up on disc and used on a laptop resulting in now having the same accounts being duplicated with end fix of 1,2,3,4! I have removed the files from main drive and restarted but they remain??

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

You're quite welcome. Just be careful that you don't overwrite a more recent copy of your file from an older backup.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    Options

You can solve this by opening Quicken, the clicking menu File > Open Recent > Clear Menu.

That said, could you explain further what you mean by "the data has been backed up on disc and used on a laptop". Depending on what you mean, you could be setting yourself up for database corruption resulting in inability to access the file. To save backups, you should be using menu File > Save a Backup (or set up automatic backups in Settings) rather than saving copies of the file itself.

• carol
    carol Member ✭✭
    Options

Great! Thanks for that! Sorted! The reason I back up onto external drive from my iMac is so that I can then use my MacBook when travelling - I open quicken and restore from backup and that then creates a new file! This is what quicken advised me to do - as I dont always have access to internet and can't use the online software. Thank you for your interest!

• RickO
    Options

Good, that's exactly how you should pass the file back and forth between computers to avoid data corruption. I hope you are also doing the same thing in reverse: when you return home, restore on the iMac from a backup created on the laptop.

If you want to avoid the sequence number at the end of the filename, when Quicken asks you where you want to restore the file and suggests a new name with a number appended, you can just delete the number off the end of the name before saving. The system will then ask if you want to overwrite the existing file of the same name, to which you can say OK. Then you'll always be working with the basic filename without a number appended.

• carol
    carol Member ✭✭
    Options

Brilliant! thank you very much for that information. Will definitely do that from now on! Many thanks

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options

You're quite welcome. Just be careful that you don't overwrite a more recent copy of your file from an older backup.

• carol
    carol Member ✭✭
    Options

😊 Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.