Looking For Recommendations - Bank to Replace Discover for Transaction Downloading

Options
elbet
elbet Member ✭✭

I've had Quicken Deluxe since 1990 and online banking with Discover since 2016. Called tonight to find out why my downloads not working and was told Discover no longer supports Quicken. Can anyone recommend an online bank that supports Quicken?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Who did you call? Discover or Quicken?

And are you referring to Discover Bank or Discover Card?

Discover still supports Quicken but the connection method they support has changed. They have discontinued support for the Direct Connect and Web Connect connection methods and now support only the Express Web Connect connection method.

Have you set up your account with Express Web Connect, yet?

Are you getting an error code or error message? If so, what is that code or message?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• elbet
    elbet Member ✭✭
    Options

Found they will download credit card but not checking or savings. Spoke to Discover said no longer support quicken. Tried editing in account list connect say possible error but no number to go by. Very frustrating

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Most first line customer support people at financial institutions have little or no knowledge of Quicken and, of those that do, many have a poor or incorrect understanding of it and will communicate only partial or inaccurate information. I would treat what you were told with a grain of salt until/unless Quicken confirms what you were told and to date Quicken has not confirmed that. Instead Quicken has been saying that some people are having an issue with their Discover connections and that the issue is being worked on.

So, back to my earlier questions: Let me ask them in another way that is perhaps a little more straight forward.

There are 4 different Financial Institutions (FIs) for Discover in Quicken.:

• Discover Card
    • Discover Bank
    • Discover Card Service Center
    • Discover Home Equity Loan Account

Which of these have you set up or tried to set up your Discover account(s) with?

If you have more than one Discover account, be sure to list each one and which of these 4 different Discover FIs you have set them up with or tried to set them up with for each of them.

• elbet
    elbet Member ✭✭
    Options

I have discover card service center and discover bank Checking savings and credit card. Have tried to reset them every way possible but they don't recognize checking snd savings. Rep said I could download statements put them in a spreadsheet and enter them in quicken At 91 I've forgotten everything about spreadsheet

• CountryLogic
    CountryLogic Member ✭✭
    Options

I use it for Discover Bank only and, no, it will not allow me to set up ANY type of download. I bring up this screen and select "Set up Now".

I get the following screen:

I select "Sign In" and get the following Screen:

Selecting "Sign in" results in the same screen. I cant go ant further.

• elbet
    elbet Member ✭✭
    Options

Country Logic I get exactly same thing although they will still update credit card. I want to withdraw everything from Discover because of this.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@elbet - Almost all banks do online banking today. Most will also allow one to set up accounts with them online. You might get some replies from others if you would post the name(s) of some banks that you would consider doing business with to see if anyone else has experience with them how was that experience.

Before posting you could also take that list of banks and start the Add Account process to see if they show up. If they do, then you can know they support Quicken in one way or another. If they do not then you can know they do not support Quicken so you can remove them from your list.

If you are looking for banks that support Direct Connect with Bank Bill Pay, then you could search for the FIDIR.txt file on your hard drive. This file contains the Financial Institutions Directory list which has the name of the all banks that support Quicken, which connection method(s) they support and for which account type(s). When you have the name of a bank in mind, open it in Notepad and then do cntrl+f to search for the bank. If it is found look in the listing for something like this: BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT. This will tell you the bank supports Direct Connect with Bank Bill Pay.

If I were to search for a new bank for myself, that is how I would start out.

• elbet
    elbet Member ✭✭
    Options

Now I find I can download checking and saving account statements to excel but don't know how to transfer them into my quicken. Any help?

• jpohio
    jpohio Member ✭✭
    Options

I cannot download Discover card transactions. I tried to deactivate the online function for Discover within Quicken, hoping to re-activate using Web Express Connect. I never get the chance to pick that option, I get error code CC-501, telling me Quicken cannot connect to Discover. Help

• elbet
    elbet Member ✭✭
    Options

I found Discover no longer supports Quicken. After years of easy operations they will only download my credit card transactions. As you can see I have a post on here reporting Discover will download my checking and savings to excel spreadsheet but have asked the community if they know how I can transfer information to accounts in Quicken. Was going to change banks but if I can use this fix will stay with Discover

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@elbet - Quicken cannot directly import Excel files. But there is a conversion software (freeware) called ImportQIF that might be able to convert Excel, CSV and OFX files into a QIF format that Quicken can then import. It was developed by a long-time Quicken user. I have not used it myself but there are quite a few posts in this Community forum saying that it works well. You can read up on it and download it from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ .

• elbet
    elbet Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks will try it and let you know if it works . We'll see if you can teach old dogs new tricks. By the way Quicken support based in Guatemala City is excellent, helped me clean up some problems and very patient

This discussion has been closed.