How to fix archiving to wrong currency account from previous Quicken Canada update?

Options
questionsforever
questionsforever Member ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in All Things Canadian (Windows)

I wrote before here that I discovered when archiving a US dollar investment register that Quicken bug accidentally archived the register to a CAD dollar investment register. All the values are correct but then if you go to change a stock ticker it fails as it says it is a stock in the wrong currency!

Later, Quicken fixed the bug in the last update but I still have a wrong CAD register from a USD archiving operation.

I don't have a previous version anymore.

Is there a way to cut and past all the transactions (now in the CAD register) into a USD register without changing any of the amounts, balances, or triggering a currency conversion since all the values are in fact in US dollars? I imagine the stock names might be an issue as Quicken seems to detect if a stock is a us or canadian stock, keeping separate lists.

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not certain this will work, but try File Export —> QIF file and export only the one problem account in the wrong currency. Then Import that file into the new account in the correct currency; make sure there is already a transaction in that new account to lock the currency before performing the import. I'm not sure what behaviour will result. Practice on a copy of your data file of course.

• questionsforever
    questionsforever Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will experiment. The only issue I'm thinking might happen is that the live unarchived linked cash account (in USD) of this wrong currency investment archive (in CAD) will read 'unspecified account' for each stock trade after deleting the wrong currency investment archive (in CAD). You'd then have to somehow find any entry with 'unspecified account' and delete it to prevent duplication (or doubling) of the live investment account-linked checking account cash balance.

This discussion has been closed.