how is Gain/Loss 1-month calculated?

Options
bobbakerarizona
bobbakerarizona Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Investing (Windows)

having trouble figuring out 1-month gain on investing tab.

when I take the gain (say 7/31/23) number and then divide by the 6/30/23 market value, shouldn't I get the "1-month" gain % as of 7/31/23?

The total isn't calculating what is shown on the investing/recent performance 1-month (%) column.

What am I missing?

Comments

• bobbakerarizona
    Options

Follow-up:

I selected the 'by account', and it shows the correct "1-month gain (%)" correctly.

BUT….in the 'Totals' row, it shows a different, incorrect number.

This is in the investing/portfolio tab.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The calculation for the one-month gain/loss is

Gain/Loss 1 month = As of date shares x (As of date price/share - 'old' price/share)

Then at least effectively

Gain/Loss 1 month % = (As of date price / 'old' price) - 1

I can't swear that is the precise form of the equation as the As of share quantity could also be factored in both numerator and denominator and there are other constructs of the same equation. Point being, intermediate buys and sells of the security are not considered.

I'll assume a stock Split entry that created a price jump during that period would also be factored in. I believe, but have not confirmed the same principles apply to 3-month and 12-month gain/loss columns.

• bobbakerarizona
    Options

I'm still not clear why the 'Totals' row gives an incorrect number.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not currently seeing that discrepancy, but I have seen it before for other columns. I hesitate to guess without probing too deeply into your personal account data. In my case, as I say, when I limit the scope of the view to a single security in a single or multiple accounts, the total at the bottom is correct - consistent with the lines above it.

This discussion has been closed.