Here's a Workaround for QW UI issues in hi-res and multiple display configurations

Options
Gregg107
Gregg107 Member ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance for the long post, but I might have a solution to the myriad QW UI issues in hi-res and multi-display use cases. I've followed the discussions on problems with QW not displaying properly on hi-res and multiple monitor configurations. I'm an IT professional with over 40 years experience and this appears to me to be a problem with the app UI code. HOWEVER, I have found a workaround that works for me.

PROBLEMS: Problems include drop-downs displaying on a different monitor from the main program, scale problems in drop-downs and scale problems in UI elements such as menus and dialog boxes.

CONFIGURATION: My configuration is as follows:

Display 1 is a Microsoft SurfacePro 8 tablet (32GB, 1TB-SSD). Native display on this tablet is 2880x1920 and scale is set to 200%. Display 1 is set as the main display which is Windows' default and I experienced the UI problems above, regardless of which display QW was started on or moved to.

Display 2 is a Samsung 34" curved, resolution 3440x1440 and scale 100%.

Display 3 is ViewSonic 27", resolution 1920x1080, scale 100%.

All monitor settings are the Windows recommended settings.

QW has no compatibility settings enabled (i.e. all checkboxes in the Compatibility tabs are deselected).

SOLUTION (for me at least): Reading the other threads and user reports, it occurred to me that QW code has a classic problem in scaling up for hi-res use cases from a lower main display res. SO I changed my config so that display 2 is my main display (since it is the highest res). And the QW problems are GONE, regardless of which display I start on or move QW to.

So give this a try to see if it works for you. Set your main display to be the display with the highest resolution. Note that this may not be optimal for your other applications and may cause you to adapt in other app use cases. For example I do a lot of PowerShell and code and have code/editor, UI, browser and other apps open in multiple windows on multiple displays and I've had to readjust or reset some default window arrangements (e.g. Powertools, PSE, Notepad++) but this config has seemed to solve most if not all of the QW display problems with minimal impact to me. It even solved the report preview problem where report previews do not display properly. This didn't solve any of the non-cosmetic issues such as slow refresh.

I'll report back if I find any issues. Please post your experience with this workaround.

This discussion has been closed.