Matching transactions Quicken Mac

Options
devnul
devnul Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Registers & Transactions (Mac)

Hello,

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. But in my register I've got a credit card payment that was downloaded from both the account the paid it and the one it was applied to.

I thought for sure there was a way (like dragging and dropping one on the other?) to match these so they don't show up as "spending" and "income" because it is in-effect a transfer, or something like that.

Here's a screen shot. I'm not sure what to do, there are literally a thousand of these things since the last time I used Quicken and it won't let me "fix" any of them.

• Greg

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You're looking at the "All Transactions" register so it's showing you both sides of the payment as it should. You can see from the Account column that the transactions are in two different accounts. Nothing to fix here.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@devnul, Jon is correct that you will see both ends of a transfer transaction when looking at the All Transactions register. However, you have not completely defined these as Transfer transactions. You can tell this by looking at the Transfer column which is empty. So technically, there is something to fix here, but not totally necessary. Fixing it will not really change much. You will still see both ends of the transaction in the All Transactions register. But at least the two ends of the transaction will be truly linked.

Regarding showing up as both income and expense: it looks like you are using the category "Transfer: Credit Card Payment" (I'm assuming you have the preference set to display shortened category names in the registers). With that category (as well as the simple "Transfer" category), in a Transaction by Category report, the transactions will not be listed as either Income or Expense, but will instead fall into the Transfers group.

To "fix" this transaction, you will need to go to the RE account register and enter the NV account name in the Transfer column. This will create a linked transaction in the NV account. Quicken will normally see that there's already a transaction in the NV account with the same date and amount and offer to match them. If it does and you accept, then poof, you have a single pair of linked transactions. But if it does not, that's when you go to the NV account and drag and drop one of the duplicate transactions atop the other to manually match them.

Note: if you use the simple "Transfer" category instead of "Transfer: Credit Card Payment", there is a notation that lets you enter transfer account directly in the Category column without using the Transfer column. It looks like this "Transfer:[NV - Credit - Business Credit Card (0829)]". That only works with the simple Transfer category, not the Transfer: Credit Card Payment category. Personally, I prefer to keep visible and use the Transfer column for clarity.

If you have a ton of these pairs of transactions going back into ancient history, I'm not sure it's worth going back and linking them all. Perhaps just do so going forward, or go back to the beginning of this year.

Hope that helps.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • devnul
    devnul Member ✭✭
    Options

Haha! Thank you!

I knew there was something I was missing here. For some reason I thought drag-and-drop would do what you described.

- Greg

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Drag and drop will never change a pair of transactions into a mutual transfer (shown in the Transfer column). It will only merge/match two transactions in the same account (one manual, one downloaded).

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.