Requesting Feedback on Strategy to Track Home Account by Basis for Tax Reasons

Options
System
System Member admin
edited September 2023 in Registers & Transactions (Mac)

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Real Estate Values

Tagged:

Comments

• jconne
    jconne Member ✭✭
    Options

I'd appreciate feedback on this strategy.

I have a home account that I want to use to track by basis for tax reasons when house is sold. The first transactions in this register show my costs including purchase related fees. Then I show the mortgage and at a later date I show a home equity loan for a major home improvement project.

Over the years I have entries for major home improvement projects that have project-specific tags to make it easy to track transactions for each of them. The transactions in other registers are categorized As HOME:Major Improvement Projects. I also have other HOME sub-categories for continuing improvements and maintenance investments.

My plan is to have a manual entry in the home basis account for:
    - each year's principle payments on the mortgage
    - each year's principle payments on the home equity loan (HEL)
    - each major improvement projeect
    - each year's other basis investments - I need to be more clear on what specifically is appropriate to include. I can report that by having distinctive sub-categories for what is appropriate. I know materials and labor are appropriate. But how about preventative maintenance and supplies?

I'm interested in any knowledgeable advice.

Thanks,

Jay+

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your strategy seems fine. So the gist of your question is what improvements contribute to basis?

I suggest you read the "Adjusted Basis" section of IRS Pub 530:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p530#en_US_2021_publink100011949

If I missed the point of your question, just leave a further comment.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.