How to exclude budget adjustments from loan view (Q Mac)

Options
GregM
GregM Member ✭✭

I have a couple of loans set up with all details (auto / mortgage). For budget purposes I have an itemization for the loan payments in total of the payment amount. Then there is a corresponding adjustment to remove that payment. This keeps my budget correct but plays havoc with the loan details graphs and spending reports. Is there any way to exclude the budget-only payment and adjustment items from the loan summary?

The lines are little hard to see, but in the graph 50% of the spend is "Mortgage". That makes sense when that line item is the same as the total payment. If there were a way to suppress that payment line or, if not that, also include the counterparty adjusting line item to more accurately present the spend in the context of the loan and related reporting.

Best Answer

• GregM
    GregM Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks, guys. These suggestions work for my needs.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I can't make much sense out of this, but why not just edit your budget & exclude the Mortgage category?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• GregM
    GregM Member ✭✭
    Options

The budget amount is the full payment, not just the various components. And another post on this site advised this is the right way t o set up the loan to track the details yet also budget the mortgage / rent category.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I don't know of any way to exclude specific transactions from a budget. You can exclude accounts or categories. So all I can suggest is put the payments you want excluded from the budget in their own category & exclude that category.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options

If you've set up a detailed reminder for your Mortgage, you can budget for just the full payment amount without having to do all the adjustments to make it play nice with your budget. Edit your budget, go to expense categories, and look for the "Loans (Detailed Payments)" section. It will show any detailed mortgage payments you have set up and let you easily budget for the actual amount of the payment as a whole, while still breaking out Principal, Interest, and any other splits you have set up on your detailed reminder that shows in your register. Does this accomplish what you are trying to do with all of the adjustments?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a Quicken for Windows user with a mortgage which was paid off a few years ago it was necessary for me to set up a separate Escrow account.
    The monthly mortgage payment could only include these 4 Splits

• Principal (categorized as transfer from checking to the mortgage account)
    • Interest
    • Additional Principal (or $0.00, transfer to the mortgage account)
    • Escrow (the amount held by the mortgage company for county tax, mortgage insurance, etc. and paid by them as needed)

When the mortgage company paid tax, etc. from the escrow account once or twice a year, I recorded transactions in my Quicken Escrow account register.
    This kept the extra information away from the graphs and made budgeting easier.

Would it work better for your graphs and reports if you kept your payment splits down to just these 4 items and maintained an escrow account for the other stuff?

• GregM
    GregM Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks, guys. These suggestions work for my needs.

This discussion has been closed.