HP OfficeJet 7740 - Having trouble printing a single check when not part of a full sheet [Edited]

Options
Sailor30
Sailor30 Member
edited September 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I am unable to get the printer to print a single check when not part of a full sheet. If I put in custom size for tray 1, it defaults to tray 2 for a full sheet. If I remove tray 2 it states out of paper. I've changed settings to use tray 1 and still cannot get t to print.

I am using Quicken for Windows Deluxe Version R51.12 Build 27.1.51.12

Tagged:

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Did you feed the check sideways, on the left edge of the tray or centered (depends on how you can feed it into the printer)?
    Some printers tend to lose short pieces of paper between transport rollers along the paper path, so printing sideways may work.

Workaround:
    If you can't resolve the size issue, you can try to use form leaders to feed your printer with a proper 8.5x11" sheet while printing a partial 1- or 2-checks page in normal portrait orientation.
    See https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/fsg/businesschecks/formleaders.aspx for an example of form leaders. Check your local office supply store, search on the Internet or order from Intuit.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11" sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.
    When making a purchase decision for a new supply of check forms and considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Looking at the specs for your printer, it looks like you may be able to set up a "custom" paper size for tray 1.

There must be a way to override the printer defaulting to tray 2. There are several places I need to specify the tray to use for printing checks. For my OfficeJet 8600, I have to say "Tray 2" in 3 places!

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sailor30
    Sailor30 Member
    Options

Rocket J Squirrel:

Already tried that. Got error code "paper too short", then spent the next 15 minutes clearing printer. Also tried fooling it by using #10 Envelope setting, didn't work. Also tried custom paper size for tray 1, even selecting tray 1, it then defaulted to tray 2.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Did you feed the check sideways, on the left edge of the tray or centered (depends on how you can feed it into the printer)?
    Some printers tend to lose short pieces of paper between transport rollers along the paper path, so printing sideways may work.

Workaround:
    If you can't resolve the size issue, you can try to use form leaders to feed your printer with a proper 8.5x11" sheet while printing a partial 1- or 2-checks page in normal portrait orientation.
    See https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/fsg/businesschecks/formleaders.aspx for an example of form leaders. Check your local office supply store, search on the Internet or order from Intuit.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11" sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.
    When making a purchase decision for a new supply of check forms and considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer.

• Sailor30
    Sailor30 Member
    Options

UKR:

Thanks. Did not know about form leaders. What I found also works is removable glue dots by attaching single check to a sheet of paper.

This discussion has been closed.